Birch Oil: Medicinal & Waterproofing
I was watching waterproofing videos, and saw deer/bear/beef tallow & beeswax.
Someone mentioned that tallow can go moldy. Someone else mentioned how birch oil could give further waterproofing. So, I went looking for how to make birch oil, because you can make virtually anything, right? It's not a lot different from the process of making black salve.
Peel your birch bark, if possible, not from a live tree (never, ever ring a tree. It will kill it). The rest is explained in the video. So very easy!
By the way, birch oil is medicinal. This guy mentions some benefits, but maybe @Torey can elaborate or add more.
Iwasn't sure whether to put this in the category I chose, or in the medicinal category. I chose this because knowing how waterproof is very important.
I somehow suspect it wouldn't smell as tasty to anything that loves to chew leather either as if you used tallow. 😄
If you wish to preserve your tallow-beeswax mixture, mixing with 1/2 birch oil is supposed to help.
I also read that milkweed latex will further waterproof.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter