Drying wild mustard

While harvesting our common mallow, we saw wild mustard in bloom. I was wondering if we could still harvest the leaves & dry them.

I don't have a dehydrator, so I would pick the leaves and put them on a screen somewhere to dry. I think grinding them into a powder (or not) for use in pastas, as a condiment mixed with other things, in salad dressings or soups would be a good use for it.

Has anyone here used dried wild mustard leaves? How do you prepare yours & what have you used it in?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,624 admin

I've never dried mustard leaves before. I think drying and powdering would be what I would do with them. Although, if they were dried more in bigger bits, then that would be good added to egg dishes.

I would add the powder to homemade pasta noodles. Or add to a blend of greens as a dinner sprinkle.

Even though I make all my own salad dressings, I've never made one with any kind of greens powder before. I guess you could add powdered greens to just about any salad dressing. I just went looking and found this one. A creamy vegan dressing. Doesn't take much greens powder, though.

I love Caesar type dressings so I think I'll try adding powdered greens next time I make one.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds good. I will have to try this.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I've never used wild mustard. Is it spicer then cultivated? I also would probably dry and powder and then maybe additional ideas could be add to bread or cracker recipes stir into soups and stews. Create a salad/sandwich sprinkle with other herbs and spices you enjoy.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mustard leaves are delicious. I grow Giant Red Mustard and put the leaves on sandwiches like lettuce, which adds mustard flavor.

I haven't found wild mustard, but the same approach should work.

I haven't tried to dry mustard leaves, but I expect any dehydrator would do a very good job of it. It would be just like drying basil. (My climate is too humid to dry anything just by placing it in the sun.)

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

Good ideas!

I powder random stuff but have never done mustard leaves either. Dressing would be great, smoothies, you could even blend it with salt and have a sprinkle on everything.

I love to add nutrition to my salts.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,506 admin

@nicksamanda11 That's what I thought of first, using it as a seasoning blend.