Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to try this.

The Best Way to Store Tomatoes | The Kitchn

Tagged:

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of this but will also have to give it a try.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree that refrigeration is not the way to store fresh tomatoes. I only refrigerate them when I have cut into a tomato and still have some left, and I know I need to use the other half within a day.

I think the tape method would only work with a near-perfect, unblemished tomato. Many of the delicious tomatoes I get from my own garden have significant blemishes and scars before I harvest and eat them, and I don't think this would work.

The pictures in the test show what appear to be those perfectly shaped but tasteless store-bought tomatoes. :-)

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I have been keeping my cherry tomatoes in those green veggie bags. I pick a good handful every day. I can see in my mind a counter full of taped cherry tomatoes. Lol

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how it will work, But once mine start to ripen (if they do since we were very late starting) I am going to have to try this. And if we end up with any store bought ones I may try it then too.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I have always done stem side down on a paper bag or cardboard and have been pleased with it.