Canning season ending?

Earlier this week, I needed to buy a set of widemouth jars for sprouting, since the sprouting lids are all widemouth.

Checking the online site for the local Walmart, pint widemouth jars where I n stock and could be ordered for immediate local pickup. So I drove out to the store, only to find them out of stock again. (A few other jars and canning supplies were still available.)

When I used my phone to check the site again to see when they could be ordered for pickup, I made an interesting discovery. The jars could be ordered, but only for home delivery, no pickup available at my local store.

That suggests to me that at least Walmart (and probably many other large stores) does not pay man to order any more canning supplies this year, and when the current stock is gone, it's gone.

And this is despite the fact that we are at the height of apple season, and pumpkin and squash season is just beginning.

I was able to get the widemouth pint jars at another store, and I picked up three boxes of lids too just in case. Ever since the pandemic, I no longer trust the supply chain to provide what I need when I need it.

If you need any canning supplies this year, I suggest you get them as soon as possible.

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a similar business practice here. The canning supplies available at local stores are quickly becoming unavailable. I agree it is important to stock up when we can.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Same here in Canada. One of our grocery stores usually has a few cases of canning jars throughout the year but none left this year. Similar occurrence at the local Walmart. I haven't checked out Canadian Tire yet.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having lived for many years in a time when pretty much anything was available whenever you needed it, I am still adjusting to planning everything fat in advance and keeping stocks of anything important.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many stores have to order well in advance for seasonal stock. Sometimes as much as a year. If they miscalculate demand they cannot get resupplied within the seasonal use time frame.

For canning lids I switched to the reusable style a couple years ago. Have found them very reliable. I only use metal lids for things I will be giving away and might not get my reusable lids back. I get my reusable lids at https://canninglids.com/ They even ship free to Alaska with no "extras" or hidden fees. There is a small learning curve but if you watch their video, it's pretty simple. Just different from the way you tighten metal lids.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I bought some of those reusable lids late in the pandemic as a backup measure, but haven't actually tried to use them yet.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love mine, I bought in bulk and have never looked back. Alaska is at the end of the supply chain and many companies won't even ship here while others charge so much for shipping you can't afford the product. Finding a great product that can be reused many, many times, AND they offered free shipping that included Alaska which most don't.... That was a definite win for me as well.