Harvesting Root Medicines

This blog article on the subject of harvesting root medicines arrived in my in-box a couple of days ago. Very aptly titled "The Underground Apothecary". There is a downloadable chart included, covering a variety of roots.

Now is the time of year for most root harvests! And don't forget seeds while you are out there. I'm hoping to still find some nettle seeds but I have my doubts.

Comments

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,446 admin

@Torey with changing climate, it is still almost too early for the roots in the Austrian Alps. It is so warm, that the Jerusalem artichokes and primroses are still blossoming, the leaves of horseradish are big and green, only echinacea shows the signs of turning brown. It is incredible. The real autumn in our area will start next week. Much too late. I did collect nettle and primrose seeds last week. Only some Primrose seeds were ready for harvesting.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey, great article! Unfortunately, it is too warm in So. Calif to harvest roots, but I am starting to collect Evening Primrose seeds.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,621 admin

I should have said that its root harvesting time in my part of the world.

Its been very warm here, too, @jowitt.europe. But we've had frost the last 3 nights in a row. So definitely time to get my roots before we get a frost that is hard enough to freeze things in.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,446 admin

@Torey it is changing in Austria as well. High time. Many plants are confused. Tomatoes are still blossoming and developing baby tomatoes, physalis is blossoming, raspberries are not ripe…