Calotropis procera a medicinal plant

Calotropis procera is the first medicinal plant which I discovered on Fuerteventura- one of the Canary Islands. We are staying here for 5 weeks. A kind of escape from late autumn darkness in the Alps. The climate on this volcanic island is like on a desert, although I have never been on a real desert. They have very little rain and the plants really have to be robust.

but this plant seems to like it. It blossoms and has fruit at the same time. The fruit are big and seem to be empty inside.

i searched for information and found this:

“ The leaves of Calotropis procera are said to be valuable as an antidote for snake bite, sinus fistula, rheumatism, mumps, burn injuries, and body pain. The leaves of Calotropis procera are also used to treat jaundice.”

Does anyone know and use this plant? Any part of it? I made a few photos. It is a big bush.

This is a link to the article on this plant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2876921/#:~:text=The%20leaves%20of%20Calotropis%20procera,also%20used%20to%20treat%20jaundice.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I only know Calotropis from homeopathy. I've never used the remedy but it is recommended in cases of anemia, skin eruptions and pain/swelling in the extremities.

Its quite an amazing looking plant. The individual flowers are quite lovely.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

A@jowitt.europe Have an enjoyable time visiting all of the flora and fauna :) lucky you!

I find that this topic of the Calotropis procera leaves very interesting and would like to learn more, too.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a video that I can't seem to link to that calls it the "gluey poison plant". Like many plants with medicinal qualities, there seems to be some issue with safety...or not. DON"T get the sap in your eyes!

(Copied from Wiki)The milky sap of Calotropis plants is a toxic substance that can cause irritation when it comes into contact with the skin or eyes.[5][6] The sap can be collected from various parts of the plant, including the flowers, stem, and leaves.[7] The sap is extremely bitter and turns into a gluey coating that is resistant to soap, therefore it has to be treated immediately once it has fell into the eye.[8]

Calotropis species are toxic plants; calotropin, a compound in the latex, is more toxic than strychnine.[9] Calotropin is similar in structure to two cardiac glycosides which are responsible for the cytotoxicity of Apocynum cannabinum. Extracts from the flowers of Calotropis procera have shown strong cytotoxic activity.

Cattle often stay away from the plants because of their unpleasant taste and their content of cardiac glycosides.

The toxic ingredients of Calotropis plants, including Calotropis procera, can be preserved in liquid form, and they naturally disintegrate over time.[5] Calotropis leaves are used as fodder for animals once they are dried.[10][11]

(Full article here: Calotropis - Wikipedia )

Here are some more articles.

Frontiers | An Overview of the Characteristics and Potential of Calotropis procera From Botanical, Ecological, and Economic Perspectives (frontiersin.org)

(PDF) Calotropis procera: An ethnopharmacological update (researchgate.net)

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@Linda Bittle thank you for the information. When I read that it helps against snake bites, I immediately thought that it might be a poisonous plant. There are quite a few wild goats on the island and they seem not to be interested in this plant. That means, it has to be poisonous. Otherwise goats chew everything.

i am not going to experiment using the leaves, unless externally for Rheuma or pains. There are no ferns or moss on this island because of lack of humidity. They are very useful for back pains. One could try out leaves if needed, but I would read more, before trying.

@Torey yes! The flowers are lovely!