What passwords do you use? Food for thought...
A study on Canadian most used password use in 2023, conducted by cybersecurity company NordPass, is as follows.
1. 123456 (4.5 million uses) Takes less than one second for hackers to crack. Canada uses this combination the most worldwide.
2. admin (4 million) Takes less than one second for hackers to crack.
3. 12345678 (1.4 million)
4. 123456789 (1.2 million)
5. 1234 (969,811)
6. 12345 (728,414)
Clear global trends: weakest passwords are used for streaming, and strongest passwords are used for financial accounts. Users also often use the relevant brand’s or company’s name when creating a password (iPhone6s, Samsung1, 1messenger).
Thirty-one percent of the world’s most popular passwords are numerical sequences such as 123456789, 12345 and 000000.
I bet most passwords are equally as weak worldwide. If you have information about your country's password use, it could be interesting to compare what they might be.
* The Western Standard, Nov. 18, 2023, was my source of the information above.
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter