Life lessons

I have come to realize that there is only one thing I truly understand in life and that is fishing...and fishing usually isn't catching. No matter how much you know, it usually doesn't work out. But, I would still rather be fishing than most anything else.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of debated on giving this post a thumbs up or a hug.

Ain't it the truth, though? I have always had a fondness for the book of Ecclesiastes, especially when things are not making sense. These verses are from Chapter 8.

14 There is a vanity that takes place on earth, that there are righteous people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the wicked, and there are wicked people to whom it happens according to the deeds of the righteous. I said that this also is vanity. 15 And I commend joy, for man has nothing better under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun.

16 When I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to see the business that is done on earth, how neither day nor night do one’s eyes see sleep, 17 then I saw all the work of God, that man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun. However much man may toil in seeking, he will not find it out. Even though a wise man claims to know, he cannot find it out.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin

I'll take that as a hug from one of my very best friends on TGN!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

@judsoncarroll4 If you want to talk about fishing & not catching any, I'm a foremost expert in the latter.

I enjoy fishing because it is out in nature, and often in beautiful surroundings. But when it comes to catching fish there is extremely rarely anything. I catch old hooks, fishing rods, sticks, and I am pretty sure I actually once brought in the stereotypical boot.

So, I go out to fish, but focus on other things. I'm never disappointed that way. If I catch anything, that's a bonus & possibly an adventure into the unknown.

A hug goes out from me to you as well.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

You and I seem to be in the same boat, @LaurieLovesLearning Ha-ha-ha. All it takes is my presence for everyone in the group to have bad luck fishing. I have rarely ever caught anything and rarely does anyone ever catch anything when out with me.

I certainly enjoy the experience, though. Not fond of trolling, even with an electric motor that doesn't disturb the silence. You are just sitting in the boat waiting for something to happen. I much prefer the activity of spin casting. I've only once tried fly fishing but would like to learn how to be better at that, even if I'm not catching.

Happy Thanksgiving, Judson!

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks, Torey! I cannot recommend a tenkara rod highly enough. It is the art and subtlety of fly fishing combined with the simplicity of a cane pole.

• Torey

Thanks, Judson. I will keep that in mind when I am looking at fly rods.

• Torey

Just curious, Judson, if it ever freezes hard enough in your mountains to freeze the lakes enough for ice-fishing?

Very popular winter sport here. But, again, not my idea of a good time. Sitting out on the ice or in a tiny hut, hunched over a hole in the ice waiting for something to happen.

I sure enjoy the results of others, though. :)

• judsoncarroll4

No, we don't get ice reliably thick enough, and it really isn't worth chancing it. Now, when I was a kid in the eastern part of the state, that was a great time to catch turtles. THey would break the thin ice and hang out in one spot.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishing is almost a religion up here. But, I have not gone yet. We have what they call combat fishing. Not my idea of fun.

• judsoncarroll4

Again I advise... Get the a tenkara rod! Seriously, they work in small creeks where surprising fish lurk and no one goes.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very surprised the first time I visited Minnesota. I had just gotten a job offer there, and was checking out the area. When we drove by a frozen lake and there were cars and pickups parked out on the lake, I was shocked.

I had always lived in places where it wasn't cold enough in winter for ice to be safe to walk on. To be in a place where you could drive on the ice was mind-blowing.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@VermontCathy I knew someone from Louisiana. He loved waterskiing on the bayous (even through he did admit it wasn't so wise with all the alligators in them). He was a grand storyteller and his friends knew that well.

At one point he had stayed part of the winter up my way. He was intrigued & thrilled with the fact one could walk & even drive on the ice.

He, being himself, went back and told them that he could walk on water. 😆 Nobody believed him, of course. But even when he followed that statement up with the fact that it was frozen to the point where someone could walk or drive on it, they refused to believe him.

Then he brought out the pictures while attempting to prove that he was telling the truth. That was before it was so easy to alter pictures. If that happened now, I'm sure they'd say that those were photoshopped.

• Torey

Our small lake has frozen over, except by the creek inflow. Part of it started to freeze earlier and that section of ice is white(ish). The rest of the lake froze very quickly one night when there was no wind so that part of the lake has frozen clear. I wouldn't walk on it yet but its pretty cool when it does this and gets hard enough so you can skate. It looks like you are skating (or walking) on water.

Very easy to see the fish swimming around when this occurs, too. Makes it easy to pick out a good ice fishing spot. :)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited December 2023

I saw a video just yesterday of an alpine BC or Alberta lake that froze clear & stayed clear long enough that people could go skating on it. I don't remember how many metres deep they said it was. It was beautiful, but got marred by the skate blades.

I think I have seen some of this, but it would have been a long time ago. Ice freezing this way makes for a great skating surface.

I found the video.

• judsoncarroll4

I was a great skater when I was a kid. But, when I tried again as an adult I couldn't keep my ankles straight - VERY painful the next day!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was only ever on ice skates once in my upper mid thirties. Didn't get hurt, but didn't do that well either. I'm sure I went sledding a lot before I was five. Went again at about thirty five when I moved to Alaska. Cracked my tail bone and never went again. Extremely painful. The act of sitting or standing either one hurt badly. Once there it wasn't too bad but getting there was no fun at all.