Garden Plans for 2024

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is getting to that time of year where I start to plan on what I am going to grow in 2024. So far I need to finish my Strawberry tower and start my medicinal herb tower. I also have two raised-beds with bases for the patio and three raised-bed to go into the yard. This morning I decided that I am going to keep the cinder-block bases and put the metal raised beds on top, that way I do not need to build new bases or completely fill them again. The raised-beds will be used for annual vegetables with exception the one in the shade area where I plan on trying to grow American Ginseng.

I also just got a Buddha’s Hand Citrus that I will be putting into a pot, also and I have on special order, two more tea plants and a Kaffir Lime that will also be put into pots when they come in.

Do you have any plans for 2024?

Tagged:

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been thinking about how I'm going to rotate what I'm planting in my beds. I've also been thinking about where I'm going to put the new grow bags I bought. I was thinking of putting them together to make a new bed for growing squash or maybe cucumbers. My friend told me I didn't have enough direct sunlight for my squash to grow well last summer so I need to find a new place where I don't have as many trees.

• Lisa K

@kbmbillups1 wow sounds like you are getting off to a great start. One nice thing about grow bags is you can move them anywhere at any time!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K That's why I bought them. I have 4 that I used last year. I bought more so I can move them around to the sunniest spot in my backyard.

I have a cattle panel I have a kiwi vine growing on that hadn't gotten any fruit in 3 years so I'm thinking of taking it out and moving the cattle panel for the squash to grow on.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really need to put a lot of thought into my garden plan. I learned the hard way this year that the large garden that I'm used to doing isn't manageable with my current work load. I really hate the idea of downsizing but it is better than not being able to care for my plants. It will be difficult to decide the priorities of what to grow.

• Lisa K

@kbmbillups1 that sounds like a good idea, maybe you can put the Kiwis in a container.

@Michelle D I can relate to priorities getting in the way, I have lost many plants which is why I am working on putting in systems/methods which reduces the time I spend in the garden in case something unforseen comes up.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

I'm going to try and grow sea buckthorn in the tropics this year. Sea buckthorn is very helpful in reducing excess radiation from the body. It is normally very happy in Russia. So down in Puerto Rico will be quite a stretch...

I'm also going to try growing epizote in PR. It sort of struggles... but I think that is the best medicine for my rabbits with mites.

• Lisa K
    edited December 2023

@Marjory Wildcraft to me that is what gardening is all about, experimenting! I love to try and grow things that all of the books say you should not be able to, sometimes that books are correct and other times I have found them to be wrong. 😁

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get a lot more tomato fruits in 2024. 2023 was a nasty, wet disaster of a year. (Flooding again this past weekend...)

Last year was doing trials of tomato varieties to see what did and didn't work. 2024 will be growing only the ones that showed promise in 2023. So I am hopeful that we'll get a lot of fruit, and be able to make significant amounts of sauce, salsa, and other tomato stuff.

2024 will also be the first year that I try growing runner beans, not just common beans. I hope they will do well here. If I can get a diverse landrace going that is well adapted to conditions here, it will be worth propagating and sharing with local gardeners.

Otherwise, it will be the usual suspects. Multiplier onions and shallots, scallions, garlic, lettuce, mustard, peas, common stringbeans, strawberries...

• Lisa K

@VermontCathy good luck with your tomatoes in 2024. I tried growing 4 Roma tomatoes and was finally getting a tomato when a creature (I suspect a rat) ate it.

• VermontCathy

@Lisa K I normally have no tomato hornworms at all. In 2023, I had six. The impact was pretty devastating. Fortunately, it happened late in the season.

Next year I am going to have to keep a sharp eye out for any hornworms hatching and getting rid of them promptly.

• Lisa K

Wow @VermontCathy 6 of them, you must have grown some great tomatoes! It is amazing how one day there are none and the next day boom! I had two of them and one was about 3 inches long and did some damage.

• Lisa K

To get a start on 2024, I planted a Buddha’s Hand Citrus on Saturday transplanted it to a larger pot, which I got the last time I was at the Nursery. Also, while at the Nursery I special ordered, two more tea plants and a Kaffir Lime that will also be put into pots when they come in. 

• VermontCathy

@Lisa K I grew about 75 tomato plants in 2023. That may be part of the reason my garden was so appealing to the hornworms.

• Lisa K

@VermontCathy you created quite the Buffet for the hornworms 😅

• Lisa K

Here are some more tasks I am planning on doing hopefully before spring -

1.     Start spring seeds

2.     Clean up spent and old plants

3.     Work on how to protect my raised-beds and the towers. 

• @Lisa K I planted to grapes this autumn and am planning to have more Herbst and some medicinal flowers for making salves and tea blends.

And of course the Always aim to have salad Year round

• Lisa K
  • Lisa K

I have not finished the strawberry tower yet, but one benefit of all the rain is that my strawberries are bearing fruit!

• bookworm
    bookworm Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

grapes, we had 2 varieties. For over 30 years, most of the time the racoons ate all the grapes in one night, leaving skins all over the place. After yrs. of watering, fertilizing, and pampering, hubby chopped them down, due to frustration. We grow heirloom tomatoes, and get a good crop. Have never had a hornworm here. We have blueberries, raspberries, thornless blackbberries, multiplier onions, jersualem artichokes, a bay leaf tree, and a few herbs. In my mid 80s, and using a rollator, makes it harder, so gardening in not on my top list of to do item. Gave up canning a few years ago. Life goes on, and we enjoy what we can do. Oh, we have pots of greens here and there for a salad. We still have a huge compost pile though, still recycling all those organic food skins and other. Blessings to all of you that can garden.

• Lisa K

@bookworm you can always tell when a racoon goes through your garden, there have been times when I have found plants ripped out and tossed, looks like a bomb went off.

Right now, I am trying to keep everything from being eaten by rats, they even attacked my Tea bushes and at my Jalapeno down to a stub.

• VermontCathy

I'm looking out my window at a snow-covered garden, and eagerly awaiting spring!

Around late February I plan to start some plants, especially the jalapenos. Peppers need to be started well ahead of time. The I will probably start the tomatoes around April 1. (Last year I started them too early and had to nurse them along long after they were ready to go outside.)

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't started planning what I will plant in in 2024 but I noticed that the cold weather killed the cyclamen that lasted through some really rough weather and a few of the other green plants. There are still greens and carrots in the ground. I did notice some beets too.

I do still have 2 onions in the ground also. I cut of the green tops yesterday (they were bent over) and there is still enough green to yank the onions from the ground.

• Lisa K

@VermontCathy I am hoping that my jalapeno survives the attract from the rats and rabbits plus the cold and it starts to come back, it is the first time I have had a plant last this long so it is an experiment.

@dipat2005 I just picked up some onions which I know is late, but I am planning on using them for spring onions.

• Lisa K

The most recent storm dropped less rain than the forecasted 2+ inch, we only got about half an inch. But, we are due for a bigger storm next week. Unfortunately all this rain means not much is getting done but what is planted is loving it!

• Lisa K
    edited February 5

Sunday the winds were strong and now it is raining and expected to rain through most of this week. They are anticipating getting over 3" of rain by the time the storms are gone which for my area is a lot of rain at one time. There is a Flood Advisement for my city and others due to the creeks and lagoons.

It also looks like our highway and the frontage road have both flooded and are closed.

• Lisa K

Hoping this time actually posts - it is the 3rd time!

It rained all day Monday and I noticed that at 5:30 am it had stopped raining so I went outside to see how much rain we got from Sunday until Tuesday morning.

An old rain-gauge said almost 2” and my new rain gauge said over 2.5”. The forecast calls for possibly another inch by Thursday. 

• Lisa K

Over Tuesday night and Wednesday morning we got another half inch of rain but the forecast is a 3rd storm is about to come in and last until late Thursday to Friday morning. The lake is starting to form in my backyard and because of the Chocolate Peppermint Geranium grew back I cannot get to the ponds so I don’t know how full they are but I am guessing the are or about to over flow. 

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited February 7

Well, we are heading into a snowstorm shortly, with up to a foot of snow predicted. Of course, we'll see if it is more or less by the time it is done. It will mostly blow away I think, except for filling in the ditches & leaving a few big drifts. This, what they call a "Colorado Low," moves through pretty quickly. With it will come temperatures below freezing, but at least not too cold!

I'm busy finalizing my orders, then next comes the actual garden plan shuffle.

I plan to get sunchokes & short season sweet potatoes to try this year as well as a lion's mane mushroom kit for indoors. Maybe I'll try garlic. I'm planning to also get subterranean clover to build the garden & help keep down weeds through the growing season. It's also time to replace some flower seeds & get a few new fruit shrub seeds.

I have a few things sleeping outside that will need to get their permanent home in spring. I hope my fruit plantings from last year make it through until then too.

I will plant lots of tomatoes. I have 5 varieties, all heirloom, but will plant mostly Amish Paste. I really liked these last year. They were huge, prolific and were not very watery for processing.

I will have plenty of potatoes to use. I will replant my variety of potato, and yukon gold as my main potato. My homegrown parsnip seeds are a first. I have way too many and hope to give some (lots) away.

It is such a good thing when you discover your favorite varieties of things to plant!

• Lisa K

Wow, your garden plans sound great! Also, you will probably get one more storm after this one, we are expecting one more storm to come through tonight into Friday. One storm they were tracking that was to hit one of the cities south of me was bracing for 3" of rain an hour! Also, we had a tornado in southeast San Diego county which is very rare.

• Lisa K

Oops I forgot to tag you @LaurieLovesLearning on the above post!

From Wednesday night to Thursday morning we got another half inch of rain!

So far this storm we have gotten from 3” to 3.5” of rain (depending on which gauge I look at). We should get a few days of drying out before the next set of storms come in next week.