Merry Christmas from Down Under

Some may have noticed I haven’t been that active on the forums for a while. I have stepped down as a moderator, as I couldn’t fulfill my obligations. I have become so busy with my community over the last year, that something had to give & unfortunately it was my involvement with TGN forums.

This year, my local village & surrounds has started a committee called Nana Glen Food Collective, with the idea that local council may have a spare block of land that we can turn into a community garden, start a food cooperative, swap/share/shuffle, potluck dinners etc. it has taken off & I’m heavily involved.

I’ve taken my vegetable garden to another level & have also done two herbal workshops. I have also undertaken the role of CRT (community resilience team) leader, to orchestrate a disaster phone tree in times of fires or flood. So all in all rather busy & loving it.

I will always be connected to TGN & will, from time to time “pop in “ to see whats going on & ask or answer questions when I can.

This year has flown by & soon enough it will be the end of another year. Special thanks to Laurie & Torey for being there for me over the years, their friendship, guidance, herbal wisdom & downright just bloody good women. (I’ve threatened them with a visit, when the time is right) also to Judson & Jolanta for their herbal knowledge, thank you.

This year has bought some interesting weather challenges, wet for the 1st 3 months, then dry for the next nearly 9 months. Tomorrow is looking like some nice rain over Xmas. A cyclone in the north of Australia, bushfires in other areas, a big land of extremes.

That’s me in the middle, being a bit of a clown at trivia with the food collective gang.

So on this note I wish you all a very merry Christmas & all the best for 2024. Stay safe & be kind. Love Jodie

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder thank you so much for the Christmas wishes. Thank you for everything that you have been for this community! I'm so happy to hear about all the wonderful things going on with you. I wish you the best of luck in all of it. Merry Christmas to you!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

We miss you, Jodie, but I'm glad to hear you are active in your local community. It will be good for you and for your community.

Merry Christmas!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year for you as well, Jodie.

You certainly have been busy. It must be very satisfying work! I hope you are not faced with too many fires this summer or any flooding. This past summer I worked for both the Fire Centre and for Emergency Support Services. Sure helps to be busy and doing something when a disaster hits. And helps with peace of mind to know that you are doing something constructive towards resilience. Good job!!!

So glad you are spreading the word about herbal medicine.

• VermontCathy

Communities will always need more help from volunteers, especially when disasters hit. Resilience requires an active citizenry, not just dependence on professionals.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin
    edited December 2023

It's good to hear of your activities @JodieDownUnder! I am genuinely awestruck by your passion, energy and creativity. Your enthusiasm, I'm sure, is contagious to those who surround you. Great work!

I've felt very behind for many months. I hope to sort of be somewhat together for Christmas and then, I will continue to play catch up, while at the same time, start preparing for the upcoming spring! I've never been so far behind in what I need to get done. 🤷‍♀️ I thought for sure that I'd be caught up by now.

In this busy December as well @hedgehog girl has moved out into her own place, negotiating her way into a lower rent of a large house in exchange for helping the neighbors on their farm. They are being very generous as well, and will "pay" her a high wage to help her pay the rent & possibly more.

Negotiating has always been a part of her personality and she's certainly making good use of her skills! She's a busy gal and has lots of drive. That will serve her well.

Anyway, the moving out is still ongoing through this season, keeping it busier than usual too. It also got the others interested in switching rooms. 😲 Thats a big job too, but it's good.

I almost forgot

🎄MERRY CHRISTMAS DOWNUNDER JODIE!🎄

I figured if I yelled, maybe you could hear me all the way from there. 😁

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas!

• VermontCathy

@LaurieLovesLearning Don't blame yourself, Laurie. I thought I would have a relaxing winter season, which is normal for me, but instead I am busier now than I was last summer. The garden work went away, but it was replaced with business projects (which I need for the income) and various volunteering activities that really needed to be done.

This is supposed to be the season of Peace on Earth, but my personal life has not been very quiet and peaceful. Oh, well, this too shall pass...

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder good to hear how things are going for you. Your activity level is amazing and impressive. I am sure your local community is grateful for all your enthusiasm, knowledge, and hands on volunteerism.

Would love to see more of that in my own community. We have a "community" garden here run by the food bank. For the most part we get some elementary school kids who come help do a little planting, and if we are very lucky sometimes we get a little help watering.

Other than that, the community part mostly involves showing up at the food bank to get some of the vegetables that were grown.

Hoping with my "retirement" this year, I can help encourage a bit more cooperation and end up with more abundance for our community.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will miss you but what an awesome endeavor!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,447 admin

@JodieDownUnder what an amazing photo! You and your food collective gang look gorgeous. I can only imagine that you are providing not only food and knowledge, but also enormous energy! I am amazed at what you do and plan to do. I wish you best success in all your activities 😊