Contemplating knee replacement surgery

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in General Health

Any thoughts on knee replacement surgery? I have been using a cane for 1 1/2 years and let me tell you it is cumbersome. I am 78 years old and have allergies to anesthetics and pain killers.

Lately I have been using Homeopathic pain relievers. It works really well for me. I have had asthma this year because of the cats who are in the house. At least that is what I suspect is the cause. The asthma isn't bad just there.

I would like to be more mobile than I am. After the last surgery I difficulty speaking, using a computer, spelling, had no filter, and remembering what I was going to say. I really thought I had a stroke on the table. I did read all the notes for surgery and didn't see that there was a problem at all with my blood pressure. I do know the Anesthesiologist used an adult dose of anesthesia-I usually ask for a lighter dose but forgot to do that. I don't know if it would have made any difference.

I am wondering if there are things I can supplement with ahead of time or things I can do to alleviate the problems that could happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

@dipat2005 I hope someone has some good advice for you. I know personally how bad knees can be. It's very limiting.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had this surgery personally. I know several people that have. I have noticed that it can be a hard recovery at times but they were all glad to have had it done once they were recovered. That being said, none of them had any of the concerns that you listed @dipat2005. I hope that you find the solution and it all goes well.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

I would have a long chat with your doc and the anesthesiologist about all the pros and cons of this surgery before making a decision. Make sure you mention your previous difficulties following anesthestics.

Maybe talk with a physiotherapist, too, so you have all the info about recovery (how long it takes, pain management, etc.) and what therapies and exercises are recommended after this type of surgery.

Are there any natural health practitioners in your area that you could consult with to find any alternatives to knee replacement? Does accupuncture help?

As to what you could do in advance, low impact exercises are usually recommended for before and after surgery. Stationary bikes, swimming, etc. I'm a big fan of swimming if you can get to a pool. Exercise will help tone your muscles. That may help with muscular support around the joint while you wait and should improve recovery time following any surgery you may decide to have. A physiotherapist will have specific exercises and may recommend swimming, etc. after the initial wound has healed.

Are you getting enough omega-3? That can help improve joint mobility. I prefer a cold-water, wild salmon oil supplement. Read the ingredients labels, though, as not all are what they claim on the front.

I've never used this product but it has a very good reputation. Dr. Christopher's Complete Tissue and Bone Formula.

Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory but if you are going to have surgery, you have to stop taking turmeric in advance, usually two weeks prior to any surgeries.

My naturopath has recommended boswellia for my knee pain. Topically. So frankincense essential oil in a carrier oil massaged in or some sort of commercial product with frankincense in it.

I hope you find all the answers you need to make a really good informed decision.

• dipat2005

@Torey thank you for all of your wonderful ideas. I am very allergic to chlorine-no swimming. I do need to use Omega 3's I just realized. I will go to a Naturopath. No, acupuncture doesn't seem to help. I do need to get boswellia too. I am so sensitive to Essential oils but will try frankincense e o.

@Michelle D I know it is a difficult recovery. I also know that I haven't been exercising enough. I want to do a lot more in the next few weeks.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Senior citizens are particularly vulnerable to long term mental effects from anesthesia-- your allergies would make you more vulnerable. Many seniors exhibit dementia symptoms after surgery. Your caution is warranted.

Turmeric, exercise and assisted stretching help with my arthritis and joint issues, although I do not have bone-on bone problems. I am 71 years old.

Good luck.

• dipat2005

I am looking into alternatives thanks to everyone's comments. @shllnzl thank you for reminding me about my mother's sundowner problems when she had open heart surgery.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭

@ dipat2005 I know what you are going through. I really didn't want to have the surgery and finally decided it would be worth it. I told the Anesthesiologist problems that I had had. They brought me back out of the surgery suite (I had already been given meds) because my Knee replacement was at the wrong hospital and they would have to wait on it getting to the correct hospital. I should have just gone home right then!! Needless to say, by the time my surgery actually started, I still wasn't thinking of my talk to the anesthesiologist and he must have forgotten???? Well, I basically slept for 3 days---the anesthesiologist came to my room every day!

You will find that people either love the surgery or wish they had never had it. Unfortunately, after surgery, my knee/leg was worst than before surgery. My brother-in-law later had knee replacement and he wishes he had never had it. Some I know that have had it are so happy that they did. Just no way to know! I hated using my cane, but would love to be able to use a cane and not have the other problems with my knee!

If you have it, you may be one of the ones that are thrilled, I hope so!! Please keep us posted.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,505 admin

If EOs bother you, perhaps making a salve from the frankincense resin would be better in your case? @Torey Thoughts on this?

• Torey
    edited January 8

@LaurieLovesLearning Yes, EOs can cause reactions in people that wouldn't normally be affected by the original plant substance. A salve made with the resin would likely be OK unless it is the actual frankincense that is causing the allergy. I looked online and there are many frankincense salves and creams on the market. However, I have a suspicion that many might be made with EO not the raw resin.

So if choosing a salve product to use, then make sure it is made from resin not just added EOs.

Getting raw frankincense from a reliable source to make your own can be a challenge. I've been looking for awhile at my usual herb suppliers but haven't found any yet. Not something I want to buy from amazon.

You can also get frankincense as a supplement to take internally for joint pain. Lots of different brands on the market; some including other herbs, mostly turmeric. Goes under the name Boswellia.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I personally know someone who healed themselves from a severe knee injury by cold plunging. It may not be something that seems very doable but there is lots of research out there about all the benefits and how healing it can be.

• dipat2005

@LaurieLovesLearning @Torey @annbeck62 thank you for the information for my knees. Boswellia has come up when I went to the health food store as a pain killer. Is it a pain killer?

• Torey

@dipat2005 Boswellia acts as an anti-inflammatory thereby relieving pain.

• dipat2005

@Torey thank you for clearing that up for me.

• dipat2005

I am interested in where I might find Frankincense resin. Is there a certain company I should search if it is hard to find? I will try Boswellia first.

Mostly with EO's it has been smell.

• Torey

Mountain Rose Herbs carries frankincense resin.

My difficulty is in finding a trusted company in Canada that carries it, that doesn't charge more than the original cost for shipping. Neither of the two companies I usually deal with has it at the moment.

• dipat2005

@Torey thank you. I know they are close to me.