I love popcorn but sadly am sensitive to corn so have to avoid it. I read that sorghum is a good alternative and in online reviews people raved about how they couldn't eat regular popcorn and tried sorghum and are really happy with it. I was hopeful and tried but it pops so tiny and only about 50% of the grains pop. It just wasn't even close to the same experience for me.
I can't do gluten but on a trip to Egypt was able to eat the (delicious home made) bread because they use a different wheat. So last night after a very unfulfilling popped sorghum experience I wondered if there's an heirloom variety that would work for me. I did a little research online but there are several types of heirloom popcorn out there.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a variety that is easier to digest and/or doesn't cause issues for people who can't eat regular corn.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 29 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 467 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 540 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 401 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 110 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter