How 168: Erechtites, Alfalfa and a great Turkey Club Sandwich

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I make homemade mayo but I cheat and use a blender. Very similar method to yours but electrified. I also make a Caesar dressing that is similar but I use roasted garlic and lime juice for different flavour. I like using a Dijon mustard but there is a local company that makes stone ground mustards in a variety of flavours so I use those quite often.

I have a recipe that I haven’t made in a long time, for yeast buns made with alfalfa sprouts. They are very good. I used to love the kneading part of bread making but as I have aged, I have come to appreciate the dough hook on a Kitchen-aid.

With regards to Erechtites, I’m including a link here for Henriette’s Herbal’s page on Erechtites.

It seems there is quite a bit of confusion when it comes to the oil of fireweed. Its more often than not oil of erechtites, but oil of erigeron instead. There is a bit about Hale, too. It seems that he was using tinctures quite a bit in the beginning and using the empirical evidence given under herbal treatments rather than homeopathic provings. I found it quite curious that it is being compared to other EOs in the conifer families. My homeopathic repertory program doesn’t have much on it so its not a very well proven remedy. I looked back on my notes that I had taken in a class with a local homeopath. Those notes indicate that she thought it wasn’t a well proven remedy, either. Following are the few notes that I took on this plant at her class.

“Burns. Especially the lungs. Excitement of the circulation. Flushes of heat and coldness. Hemorrhages. Two types of hemorrhage. Passive dark blood or bright red blood with excited circulation. Has more of a relationship to erigeron than yarrow.“

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

I use it pretty much interchangeably with erigeron, and I often find them growing near each other. Culinarily, this "fireweed" has a very strong, herbal flavor... along the lines of sage or yarrow. It makes a pretty good wild seasoning, but it is very strong in flavor.