What medicinal plant preparation has been a game-changer for you?

I know I'm asking this question, but I want to share that I am pretty convinced that lions mane tincture or taking it in the form of a 5 mushroom powder (with warm milk, cocoa & honey) on occasion, has been giving me more motivation/energy/clarity of mind.

Yes, I still get overwhelmed with non-stop, often unwanted, intrusive thoughts at times, but my productivity has been more consistent. I feel less cluttered in my mind for the most part and that gives a type of freedom.

I'm sure it helps that I'm keeping on top of the things clutter-wise in my home & I'm doing things that I need to do even if I'd rather procrastinate. But, I really think it has been a game changer for me.

I have also had vitex help me alot as well for other things.

I'd be interested to hear what you have found most helpful and how it has improved your standard of life.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

My ND told me a few months ago that my adrenals were "fried". Wasn't at all surprised at that diagnosis but as often is the case with health care practitioners, we need someone else to tell us what is wrong and how to fix it. My ND is pretty good about having an intelligent conversation with me about which herbs to use for things so he made some suggestions about adaptogens and left it up to me to choose which ones.

I started on Rhodiola (cause that is what I had at home) and it helped a lot but it gave me so much of a boost that it interfered with my sleep. So I found another product that is a combination of adaptogens; holy basil, ashwagandha, rhodiola, eleuthero, schisandra and milky oats. Strest by St. Francis Herbs. I have been taking it in the morning and 1 dose of ashwagandha in the evening before bed.

This combination has been really amazing for me. I have motivation again. Energy to do things during the day. More focus. And the ashwagandha helps me have a restful sleep. It helped as soon as I started on the regime; not something I had to wait for. This was my first experience with ashwagandha (even though I recommend it for others regularly) and now I have personal experience as to why it is so highly regarded.

Hubby regularly takes 5 mushroom chocolate and lion's mane tincture. I think it has made a huge difference in his cognitive function.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited January 24

@Torey We've tried Strest in the past. I was able to learn on a recent webinar more about most of the herbs in it.

I am subscribed to the company's emails. I'm not sure if their free shipping promotion is still happening.

Part of the reason we are taking lions mane is because I have been concerned about my husband's cognitive function due to past concussions & now how his not breathing well at night might be affecting it as well.

I just know I can benefit from it in enough ways, that it is well worth it for me to continue taking it. Taking it together also helps us be more consistent, which is always a challenge for us.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin
    edited January 24

I've been eating sauteed fresh lions mane but recently my body said "no more". Maybe a tincture would be better...

@Torey loved your comments about ashwaganda. I've fallen off my adaptogen program for ugh... 8 months now? Funny how time flies like that when you run out of it and don't renew. It is good stuff.

I've been cutting out caffiene - from coffee, chocolate, and/or teas. That has helped my focus and sleep tremendously. It is really changing my life. I'm learning how to live in more of a flow state - versus and "I'm getting stuff done" state.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found that psyllium seed, ground fine and mixed with water, is an excellent source of fiber that keeps my bowels regular. (This was recommended to me by my doctor, and it works.)

So far I have always purchased it. I don't know if it is possible to grow it here and prepare it myself, but it would be worth looking into that.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one more week of Doc Jones herbal cleanse and each week has been either a powder, capsule which I made myself or tinctures, also ones I made myself. I feel lighter after doing it and will be doing it again in July.

When it is warmer I make a morning smoothie and I make up small containers of dry ingredients, such as chia seeds, pea protein powder, hemp seeds, maca, etc.

I also have created a Macha tea and chocolate mixes which I can drink hot or cold and they have dried ingredients like greens, inulin. plant-based collagen and other adaptogens.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VermontCathy were you aware that the seeds of plantago (plantain) are used commercially as physillium?

https://theherbalacademy.com/plantain-leaf-benefits-recipes/