What is your first memory in a garden?

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

My first is hard to determine, but I was always impressed with my grandfather's garden. He had a large one (and some years, two or three) that flooded every spring. It grew the biggest & best of everything tasty!

His rescue crabapple apple tree was classic. It was always there in my memory, & always had lots of tasty apples, and held great memories.

Edit to add: This is by far by most favorite apple. I was very proud to finally plant one in my garden last year!

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26

There were always gardens in my family.

But my first garden that was my own was when I was 12 years old. My class had sold garden and flower seeds to make money for a class trip and we had two boxes we bought.

My father had removed some tree in the orchard and there was bare ground so my brother and I planted seeds. I was hooked and was a gardener/ soil digger ever since.

I made every mistake a gardener could make bit still had a nice garden and flowers and produce. (My brothers garden died from lack of attention and care. He was not interested in gardening and still is not)

Denise

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this is going to sound crazy! I tried to plant whatever seeds came in my parakeet's food when I was a little girl. I don't remember if anything grew but I do remember having a good time planting it.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@kbmbillups1 That's awesome!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents had a very large garden when I was growing. It was full of a wide variety of vegetables that could grow in zone 7.

The rest of the yard had several smaller flower gardens, which included crocus, daffodils, narcissus, tulips, hyacinth, forsythia, and other plants. The most unusual decorative plant was probably the "hen and chicks", Sempervivum achalur.

My strongest earlier memories there were of growing my own single row in the larger vegetable garden, where I could pick what I wanted to grow. Radishes were a popular choice because they were so easy to grow, but they weren't all that popular as an item to eat!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27

As a child I never experienced an actual vegetable garden. We didn't spend time with anyone that grew their own food. I did however grow up with stories of my grandfather's farm that my mother grew up on. They grew food or they didn't eat. I always dreamed of what it must have been like. It wasn't long after I got my own property that I tried a garden. I had no idea what I was doing. It was a huge failure and a giant mess. The important part is that it was a great learning experience. I have come a long way since then but I still need to learn so much.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad had a vegetable garden for as long as I can remember, my earliest recollection was when I was 4 or 5, we had a big backyard and I would run around with our four dogs while dad worked in the garden.

I got bit by the gardening bug when my mom convinced my dad to let me help him pull weeds, he showed which ones I could pull and let me at it.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

We didn't have any gardens but we did have mango trees. I loved to climb in them. When I was very, very young (like 4 or 5 years old?) I remember my mom talking to someone and they told her that if she fed the trees they would produce more mangoes. It was the first time I realized that there was a give and take that the mangoes just didn't happen magically... or well, it was magic but you had to do a part in it. And there was a circle of life.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning My first memory was my Grandmother's garden. She had 9 children and those children had their own children, so Lots of cousins!! We all helped Grandmother in her garden. I was one of the youngest and sometimes I got a little sidetracked and ate blackberries that grew beside her garden. I can almost taste them now!!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@water2world I've always been fascinated how memories, songs, smells or whatever can bring us right back to specific moments in time.

What a busy garden that must have been!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

My grandfather's garden would be my first garden memory. He was an amazing gardener, full of flowers as well as veggies. I remember the flowers more. He loved the tall, stately flowers; delphiniums, hollyhocks, glads, foxgloves and soooo many sweet peas. That has transferred to me; I love those types of flowers, too. It was a city garden but the whole backyard was dug over (back in the day when city houses had large back yards).

We lived on a poultry farm with lots of produce farms of all kinds in my area when I was little, which provided us with a lot of our groceries that my mum would freeze or can (as well as the excess from grandpa's garden) but we also had a small garden of our own, mostly for greens and I think veggies that would interest us as kids. Our property (even then) was an old established farm. We had several fruit trees (cherries, apples, pears) and surprisingly a number of flowering trees and shrubs, considering it was a working farm.

Another garden that is a very early memory is one that was at my great aunt's house (my grandfather's sister, so gardening must have run in the family). She had a vegetable garden but most of her very large city lot (nearly an acre) was formal flower gardens. She had no children of her own and wasn't very friendly to small children. I remember getting yelled at a lot for straying off her manicured pathways. And we certainly weren't allowed to pick anything!

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning you are right---Memories can bring us back to a specific Moment!

I also wish to thank you for this challenge of my first memory of a garden. It spurned me into calling several cousins and we journeyed down the path of memory lane. Even one cousin stated that those blackberries I had gotten into, had gotten him in trouble. He said that Grandma told him he wasn't suppose to join me in eating the blackberries, but lead me in the right direction of the garden! I did not know that, but we both got a laugh out of it! Thanks from my cousins and myself!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@water2world How wonderful! I'm so glad that you used this question as the catalyst to contact your cousins. It makes my heart feel very happy!

Thank you for sharing the extra bits of your story with us. I absolutely love stories like yours. I have a whole book of family memories that I had my aunts, uncles & cousins write about my grandparents' farm & garden. I had them sign their names to their stories. Some from the youngest ones were scanned to capture their printed or hand-written stories. I was fortunate to give it to my grandpa. He read it many times over, I was told. It brought smiles, laughs & even tears at times. ❤️ I'd love to put family memory books together for others. That would be fun.

I bet those blackberries were the best you ever tasted too! 😉

• LaurieLovesLearning

My very earliest very vague memory (I would have been easily under 5 years old, most likely 2 or 3) was of my great-grandmother's front yard. I can still see in my mind's eye a white picket fence and lots of hollyhock, foxglove/delphinium type flowers. It was absolutely beautiful with all the tall flowers & colors, but like I said, its only a very hazy memory.

I don't remember what would have been a very long trip there (days) nor anything else.

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning You are right.... "the best I ever tasted!"