Greenhouse & cold frame ideas

Here are a few ideas for you. Some can be focal points, some are just practical, & some can be used in small spaces or urban settings.

Do you have a cold frame or greenhouse? What materials did you use? Do you have pictures of your creation? Please share with other members to inspire them & maybe spark a new idea!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

There are some really great ideas in this article. I am going to be trying a poly tunnel over PVC piping to get an early start on some things this year.

With regards to the trampoline idea; I have seen a trampoline used as a movable shade cloth over plants on really scorching days.

We have a small greenhouse, 10' x 14', built with 2x4 studs. It is mostly poly-carbonate panels (the clear, ripple type), walls and roof, although the north-east wall has two 5' x 3' salvaged double glazed windows above a 2' solid wall. So the side walls are 5' high on each long side and the centre (ridge) of the greenhouse is 8'. It now needs several of the roof panels replaced, although we might get one more year out of it.

We made 2 foot deep beds around the perimeter with lots of room in the centre for potted plants.

Another improvement needs to be an automated vent. So when we replace the roof panels that will be something that we incorporate.

It has been a challenge keeping rodents out. If we were to do it again, I would put down some sort of mesh or other protective barrier along the outside edge at the very least, but maybe also across the entire floor. We also have a problem with nearby birch saplings spreading out their roots and coming up in the greenhouse. They really travel a long distance.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the pyramid ones. I found some wooden poles at Goodwill with holes drilled into them at one end that I was going to use to make a tee pee like support to grow something on this spring. Maybe beans or lean some sunflowers on them. But I could use them for the pyramid greenhouse as well. Good idea!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@Torey I have a not heated green house with automated vent. It is built in the roof window. However, I have changed it three times, because the strong wind, once it comes, breaks the automated roof window open and the mechanism based on gas capsule is broken. After three ones were broken, I permanently sealed the roof ventilation and keep the doors and the side window open. If you do not have strong winds, it is worth having it.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Thanks @jowitt.europe. I will keep that in mind and will install the roof vent on the side that doesn't have prevailing winds. While we sometimes get strong winds, we are not in a particularly windy area. However, its always a good idea to err on the side of caution.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I just started Scott's class in the Academy and he also has some good ideas.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@Lisa K Thanks for mentioning that.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I love Scott's classes and articles, I learn so much while being entertained. 😀