Would you like to learn from me in Pinehurst, NC?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

If it wasn't such a long journey, I would love to join you!

I have a walk planned for sometime in late June or early July, depending on the weather (and fire season) for a community a couple of hours north of me. I'll have to be on my game as this is a walk mostly for herbalists who are in their early-to-mid stages of their study programs.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin

I have no idea who might show up..... I'll have to be ready for experts, too!

• Torey

I thought this might be a good place to post a list of items that people should take with them when going on a plant walk.

Field Guide for the Area

Small Backpack (for all the following items)

Notebook and Pen/Pencil

Camera

Magnifying Glass or Jeweller’s Loupe

Binoculars (for looking high up in trees or wildlife viewing)

Bug Dope/Sun Screen

Appropriate Foot Wear (Gators if required)

Gloves (for handling prickly or poisonous plants)

Water Bottle

Snacks

Hat

If the walk is in an area where it is OK to harvest:

Pruners, knife or scissors

Baskets, buckets or bags for collecting

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! If it were possible I would love to go with you both on your walks. And I'd love to do it with a video camera so I could go back over everything multiple times. And not miss anything while I'm writing it down, or writing so fast I can't read it later. Lol

One other thing for your list @Torey would be a pencil sharpener. I prefer pencils outdoors in case it rains a bit. Ink can run and be unreadable with even a little sprinkle. Pencil won't run.

Would it be wrong to post how much you charge for these walks so folks can figure out if they could afford to participate?

• judsoncarroll4

Good list! I have a field guide specific to the area and I figure on scouting the trail before hand. It should be before the mosquitoes come out and temps should be right around 70-75F. I think it will be pleasant.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you weren't 6 hours away, I'd love too. I've never been on a plant walk.

I hope you get a good crowd!

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks! Hopefully I can do some in SC, TN and GA eventually

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,602 admin

I would also want to join both of you on plants walks. I think it is the best way to learn.

Judson, get someone to video your walk. You can use it for you (as Torey suggested), or give it away for free or charge a tiny bit for it through an online link (Learning Herbs' Herb Mentor has a collection of herbal walk videos).

If you can make it available online, please be sure to share it with those of us that are too far away to join!

• Torey

@Vickey It all depends on the group I am working with for payment. The walk I will be doing with the budding herbalists will be very inexpensive because I know they are all struggling students working at low paying jobs. Probably $20 per person. If it is for an organization or school, then I will do group rates.

I don't have access to larger populations as some herbalists in cities do. I have found that people in cities will pay a higher price for the excursion, thinking of it as an afternoon's entertainment, getting out into the wilderness as well as learning something. People in rural areas are less likely to attend if the cost is too high.

A pencil sharpener is a good idea to add to the list of essentials for people to bring.

@judsoncarroll4 Something else that I will often do when conducting a walk, is to have something prepared for people to try. Sometimes it is a beverage, like a wild raspberry or blackberry shrub or I might have some tea brewed in thermoses. Other times it will be an edible, like a small piece of Douglas Fir & Olive Oil cake or a bit of Oregon Grape Jelly on a cracker. If you are waiting for mullein to appear, then maybe mullein tea would be a good choice to have on hand.

• judsoncarroll4

That is something to consider - thanks for the suggestion! Pine needle tea might work.

• vickeym

@Torey Wow, now I really want to go with you. The only plant walk I've heard about around here was an hour and a half away and $350 a person.i thought that was totally crazy.

• judsoncarroll4

That is crazy! I'm charging $50 and will spend at least 2 hours with the folks... and offering a discount for couples and such.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,602 admin

@vickeym You have to keep in mind what your area will "allow" you to charge as @Torey mentioned. Is this person closer to Anchorage? What are they offering? Only a plant walk or is it much more involved? It does sound extremely high, though.

One very well established herbalist 3 hours away from here charges $25 for an urban plant walk (within the provincial capital at a conservation area) & $285 for "deep forest immersion" (not sure what that all encompasses). From what I understand, he is Buddhist, so he might incorporate a lot of his beliefs & more "practices" into that package, similar to offering yoga while on a walk. If you offer more perceived value, people are sometimes inclined to pay more for a more all-encompassing experience. I imagine it is a "forest walk" of sorts.

I know there is someone else out that direction that does plant walks, but I've only seen ads on occasion on FB... and it is far from my favorite place to spend any time. I think she actually charges quite a bit more than this other herbalist for her walks. The price also changes depending on the length of and nature of her walks.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

That would be so neat! Unfortunately, I am a ways a way from you. Do you offer any online videos or courses?

• vickeym

There should be a mushroom walk coming up in the next month or so. I'll have to see if I can get more information about it.