Roasted Dandelion Root Coffee Ice Cream

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I love coffee ice cream so this is another that will be going on my list to try.

Maybe chicory, too. I have some already roasted so I could get this one going right away.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love coffee ice cream as well! Making it out of dandelion root never crossed my mind.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly where I live is so populated that it's rare to see dandelions ;,(. I have actually considered growing them to harvest. I have made dandelion oil in the past and drank dandelion root tea but I have never cooked with it. What type of taste does it have, if you are eating it?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,602 admin

@karenjanicki I tasted a dandelion jelly made with blossoms many years ago. I found that taste to be very delicate & mild.

As for the root, I'm not a huge fan of that flavor. It is very strong & I think bitter (but I could be off on that part). I haven't had it as a tea since last year, so I would not have a better description of it at this point. Maybe someone else can describe it more thoroughly.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

What a great idea! I make ice cream and use dandelion root as a sub for coffee but never thought to combine the two. Looking forward to warmer weather and making some :)

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Yes, yes, Yes!!! This I have to try! Thank you!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I love the taste of dandelion. I enjoy the roots as a tea. A bit earthy but I sweeten it up with some cream and sugar. Dandelion wine is absolutely delicious! I would love to learn how to make it myself. My husband and I received a wine-making kit from some friends and I would love to give it a go.

• Torey

I finally got this made tonight. I used roasted chicory instead of dandelion.

OMG!!! It is sooooo good! Such a great flavour. I was worried that I had made the chicory "coffee" too strong but it was perfect.

Definitely a keeper recipe and a great reason to grow chicory.

I used maple syrup instead of sugar and I omitted the vodka. It hasn't fully set up yet (I couldn't wait) but I don't think it will be too hard without it. I think if I were going to add alcohol of any kind, I would use Kahlua for this, just to kick up the coffee flavour, but I really don't think it will be needed.

I'll report back tomorrow if it is too hard.

I look forward to hearing results using dandelion but I'm sure it will be very similar.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,602 admin

That is great to hear @Torey! Could you also post your revised recipe here?

• Torey

After sitting all night, its not too hard. Maybe if I had used sugar it would have hardened up a bit more.

This is the original recipe with the changes I made in bold brackets. For the chicory root coffee, I steeped 2 heaping tsp of roasted chicory root (well ground) in just over a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes and then strained it.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups heavy cream (2 cups heavy cream)

1 cup whole milk or use all heavy cream (1/2 cup whole milk)

1/2 cup organic cane sugar or use real maple syrup (1/2 cup maple syrup)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract (same)

1 cup extra strong dandelion root coffee chilled chilled (1 cup extra strong chicory coffee)

1 tablespoon vodka optional - this prevents your ice cream from getting rock hard in the freezer (none)

Instructions

Mix together all ingredients thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved. Work quickly so that the cream mixture remains cold.

Cover and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Pour into an ice cream maker, and churn according to manufacturer's instructions for 20 - 25 minutes.

Freeze for several hours before serving.