Potatoes & tomatoes on the same plant

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

I thought this grafting experiment was interesting. It seems as though yields on both ends were low. Someone in the comments suggested increasing the nutrients to see if they could get more produce.

It could be an experiment worthy of trying in a small space.

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! While watching it I remember I saw someone else do this and thought I'd try it this year. Thanks for the reminder. I love to experiment too.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@kbmbillups1 That's awesome! Please keep us up to date through the season.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

A long, long time ago, before the days of internet and online ordering, when catalogues were the mainstay of remote shopping, I used to get a garden catalogue that had the most unlikely of plants. Plants that were advertized as hardy, even though I knew for sure that they weren't (frost hardy lemons for one example) and wild colours that couldn't be real. A tomato-potato graft was one of them. I never ordered anything from this catalogue so I didn't try the tom-pot plant, assuming it was too good to be true.

I don't think I'll be trying this cause I don't have all that much success with tomatoes. I've also never tried to graft anything like this so I have my doubts about my results.

But I really look forward to hearing results from others.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Torey I vaguely remember a catalog like that. Looking through things like that are fascinating when you are young.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I will. I have 9 tomato plants that I saved from last fall by cutting the tops off and rooting them. But they got so out of hand in my bonus room trying to reach the heat vent that I cut the tops off again and rooted them again. This time they're going in the ground but I'll use several for the experiment. I started some new ones from seeds so I have enough to experiment with.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

That's a rather interesting concept. I've had a bit of luck in the past growing some small varieties of tomatoes in containers, but I have never tried potatoes, let alone together. However, I feel like that could be a good use of minimal space.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

OH...I can't wait to hear success/cons from everyone that is trying this experiment! Homemade ketchup sounds great!! Any recipies??

• LaurieLovesLearning

@water2world I used to have one that did exactly as it claimed. It satisfied me as tasting just like Heinz (and not tomatoes, lol). I have no idea where it went and have not experimented since, since I'm pretty set on an exact flavor that not every recipe will deliver and turn my nose up on others that miss that mark.

It still irritates me to no end that I have no idea where it went. It was on a piece of paper, so it is unfortunately very possible that it got accidentally thrown out with other papers when my kids were younger. That thought makes me cringe.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if I actually discovered it again. I figured my recipe would take 12 tomatoes (instead of ?# of canned tomatoes)... and I remember writing that down. I think I fiddled with the actual ingredients just slightly too, but don't remember that for sure.

You know I'd have to eat whatever ketchup I made anyway, even if I didn't like it, because I don't like to waste food.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an interesting experiment, but I think yields would always be low. There is only so much leaf area to harness the sunlights reaching the plant, and that energy has to be split between making potatoes and making fruit.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a few years my best friends grandsons sold plants as part of a school fundraising project. We didn't really need any, but bought a couple every year anyway just to support the boys.

We always chose one called ketchup and fries. It was a potato root with a tomato top plant. We did not plant in the best conditions and never got a lot off of them. But was worth trying again when we have better control of the growing conditions.