Breathing Exercises for Better Health

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at different kinds of breathing exercises but I don't know what you call this particular exercise that my Acupuncturist did for me today. It gave me more breath and more energy.

I have been hearing asthma (during breathing) and after the treatment she gave me today I was asthma free.

I was told to take a deep breath and then to let it out and out and out almost to the point of pain and then to take a deep breath. While letting the breath out to push on the intercostal spaces (in between the ribs) to release the alveoli so you can breath easier. It was very painful but the results were fantastic!

Does anyone know what it is called? You can do it sitting up or lying down.

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I have done many different types of breath work including going through some trainings. What you describe is not a classic type of breath work that I'm experienced with. It may be what's called somatic therapy. In the end what matters is how well it worked for you :)

• dipat2005

My acupuncturist is a Chinese Medicine Doctor. I do not know about somatic therapy but it sounds interesting. This breathing technique really does work for me. I am really greatful.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, I have never heard of this. I typically use breathwork to calm myself down during periods of stress, but I'm fascinated that this could be of assistance for asthma!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 Sorry, I do not know what it is called, but I will be trying it. Thanks!!

• dipat2005

Just an update on the asthma problem I was having. It took about 4 days of doing the technique and my asthma seems to be under control. I do hear wheezing now and then but it has really improved a lot.