Cucumber Issues in a climate where the summers are extremely hot and humid

Howard
Howard Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Miscellaneous
Hi Howard

I'm a bit confused, I thought this subforum is for people who are looking to find friends?  You might get more answers if you also ask this question in the growing food section.

Our cucumber don't struggle with heat or humidity in Texas.

There are some diseases (like Bacterial Wilt) that can take down entire plants very quickly.  You may want to check with a local nursery to see if they are seeing others with the same problem.  They may also have tips on how to cope.

If it is Wilt, then I would  plant varieties that show some resistance, and cover the plants with insect netting until they start flowering because bugs can carry this from plant to plant.

Comments

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin
    edited January 2018
    If it's not a disease, you may want to check your nutrient levels for that particular strain, and pH levels of your soil for that matter. What strain of cucumber are you growing?
  • Sharon Companion
    Sharon Companion Posts: 28
    edited March 2018
    Hi Howard, I have been soaking all my seeds before planting in 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide for about 5 minutes. Maybe you can give it a try.  I grew some cucumbers indoors during the winter and they turned out great.  My favorite part was adding the cucumber flowers to my salad.  They have a very nice lite cucumber taste.
  • griesjoe
    griesjoe Posts: 5
    edited March 2018
    yes, yes, and yes  to the above,  you could also try to trellis  them but it sounds like a bug to me.  Call your extension agent.
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    edited April 2018
    Hi Howard,  yes I suppose this post does belong in the other area for growing food....  but to answer your question...  I live in Central Texas - it gets very, very hot and most cucumbers don't make it much past June.  EXCEPT the Armenian cukes - sometimes they are called Asian cucumbers.  They are very long, very tasty, and produce all summer.  I love them!  Great for pickling,  eating fresh, in green smoothies,  using as a face mask...  etc.