What are your favorite combinations for companion planting?

Merin Porter
Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
edited March 2018 in Our Garden: Growing Food
I like tomatoes, peppers and lettuces.

Comments

• Jane
    Jane Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Carrots Love Tomatoes is a great book for companion planting. And there are more.
  • Carolyn
    Carolyn Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    Basil and Tomatoes together have proven to be great companion crops. They both produce better together for me. I tried this first in container gardening. Although Marigolds with about anything is good too.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    edited March 2018
    You know, I don't want to be controversial here, but I really haven't found companion planting to be so great.  Yes, the three sisters has quite a bit of merit...

but for example with the book 'carrots love tomatoes' well, carrots and tomatoes don't typically grow in the same season here.

I do plant legumes to add nitrogen to the soil and cut it or turn it under prior to planting another crop - which is kind of like companion planting in staggered time?  LOL.

Anyway, I know companion planting is a 'hot thing' that new gardeners think will be the magic bullet, but I haven't found it to be so.

• mkay5334
    mkay5334 Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    Well i havent planted anything lately,but its going to be tomatoes and squash.lol I ordered this yard long string asparagus. Read reviews on it and thought it would be great.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    • I always start by bordering my beds or rows every 3 feet or so with Marigolds. The work for the broadest spectrum of insects in all stages. I also use mint's and chives to interplant among crops. Basil and tomato are the classic symbiotic planting. I find that plants that taste good together, grow well together. Squash with Dill and Garlic. Try out different combinations to see what works in your soil and area.
  • sdmherblady
    sdmherblady Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Carrots and onions together - I had read they are great companions, they repel each other's biggest insect pests.  I had my doubts as they are both root crops and I thought they would compete for specific nutrients, but planting them in an alternating grid pattern worked fantastic.  Both crops produced very well, made large healthy roots and NO pests to be seen throughout the entire bed.

Bush beans with marigolds interplanted worked well, too, though it's supposed to take a year or so for the root exudates of the marigold to protect against nematodes in the soil.

Some "traditional" companion plantings haven't worked so well but a lot of standard gardening methods don't work as well for me, I'm gardening in wooden raised beds over very heavy clay soil, and some plants just don't do as well in heavy soil, 'companion' or not. Looking forward to hearing other specific companion plantings that have worked well for folks!
  • mkay5334
    mkay5334 Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for that info,i will try that.I made two small 30ft by 15  plots.Then two smaller one half that size for watermelons and cucumbers.I have also made an old boat into a plot.lol
  • Carolyn
    Carolyn Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    I am also planting in raised beds and also have east Texas red clay. I have put bottoms to my beds for the most part and created my soil from organic compost, organic chicken manure, and other organic soils. I have been here for 35 years and do have several good garden spots that I have developed by a lot of hard work. Now that I am older raised beds are much more workable for me. I would be interested in any post with tips or ideas.  There are in my mind two different reasons for companion planting, one is for the benefit each plant gives the other and one to best utilize the space. I just have to be sure I take care of heavy feeders and put plants together that live well together. IE: Soil type, water, shade or sun, pests, harvest times, etc I love GROW and appreciate the time everyone takes to communicate. Thanks to all!

• Shelli Haun
    Shelli Haun Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I've done peppers and onions together and they did great.