Deer pellet manure for soil?

WendySue
WendySue Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Go for it WendySue, with all the damage the critters do we should be able to get something out of the deal. But seriously the neat thing about deer pellets is that they don't have to be composted first like cow poo does, like rabbit pellets, they will not burn your plants.

Comments

• WendySue
    WendySue Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for your reply....I figure I have tons of deer running around and they eat green so why not?  Good way to get rid of it all :)
  • bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes.  Goats and deer share the same anatomy.  They may even be a type of kin to one another.  We use our goat manure often.  Our goat stall use only the feed hay that is dropped on the ground.  It mixes well with the goat manure (straw will not).  Cleaning out the stall and composting in just a wide pile where the garden would be works.  Rototill once in the late fall around Thanksgiving.  Let the winter season of rain, frost, and snow do it's job.  In the Spring Rototill your awesome new soil.

The left side is the new dumping area (the hens love turning it over), the right side of the photo shows the kids getting the awesome new rich soil.
  • Nikki
    Nikki Posts: 20 admin
    edited June 2018
    Love the addition of the photo here! Thank you for your thoughts.
  • Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
    edited June 2018
    I had never even thought of this! Wonderful use of resources. :)
  • peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited August 2018
    My husband asked me this morning about this.  Glad to hear it's an option since we seem to have such an abundance of it just laying around.
  • EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Never thought of trying it. Since they leave soo much in my yard every night. They come for the buffet. Never see deer that eat everything I plant. Will give it a try.

• cre8tiv369
    cre8tiv369 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

DON'T do it... Leave the wild animal feces in the wild and only use domesticated and controlled animal feces in your compost. Learn from the mistakes of others and you won't make them yourself.

Odwalla used to be massive in popularity but they had a massive tumble in 1996 with their E.Coli outbreak which killed a baby girl and sickened 66 people. I have talked to some that swear that was caused by an apple falling on deer poop (a grounder), that was picked off the ground by an apple picker and made it's way into production.

You have no idea what disease a wild animal has, what they have been eating, or anything (and if the deer has CWD, the prions in their poop do not break down, and will be soaked up by any plants that grow in them, passing the CWD on to anything that eats the plant). A goat on the other hand has seen a vet, has a controlled diet, and should be healthy, so should their poop.

Regardless, compost ALL poop... Always, always, always always compost the poop, regardless of what any lazy slow thinking person may have told you in the past. Compost piles get hot, composting destroys weed seed and bad bacteria and sanitizes and breaks down poop. Finished compost is never hot and is always ready and welcomed by plants. Just add it to your compost, especially if it came out of a mammals butt. Compost everything and never use wild animal poop, just leave it in nature. The risk to reward is never worth it.

• cre8tiv369
    cre8tiv369 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Also, never use poop from any animal that is or was recently on worming meds (it will kill earth worms). Toss that poop out with the trash or put it in a place you don't care about earth worms.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

When I use fresh rabbit or chicken manure, I cover it with mulch - usually just chopped up brown leaves, but straw, wood chips, etc would be good. I that you probably do not want it, or water splashing off of it, to come in contact with your fruit and veggies. Compost teas, worm teas, biochar and such would likely help balance any bad bacteria in the soil with good ones. That is like composting in place... but, you may want to compost it first for safety.... or maybe sun dry it?

• KarenBeesley
    KarenBeesley Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

e coli is in everyone's poop, manure and litter may harbor pathogens, such as Ecoli, Salmonella, Cryptosporidium and others. Humanure can be worse with medications, TB, and i know some who will not let guests use their composting toilet if they drink alcohol or eat meat.

there was an outbreak in oregon a few years back, traced back to deer in the fields.

travellers diarrhea is caused by foreign e coli. like when we go to mexico.

one time, i assisted a Moroccan couple birth their babe. when they returned some days later that babe had eye pus. i swabbed it and the lab pathologist called me "This is E Coli, but no species i have ever seen." I laughed and told him it was Morrocan. poor babe.

E. Coli is everywhere.

wash your above ground vegies that do not get cooked. composting doesn't always get hot, mine breaks down quickly in my municipal bought black cone , but really doesn't get hot i do not think.

keep a healthy immune system.

i have lots of deer in the back yard, but it is so tiny, i go next door for the horse poop.