Making your own herbal remedies

I recently took our Home Medicine 101 online certification and learned quite a bit! What's your favorite herbal remedy?

Comments

• Brodo
    Brodo Posts: 4 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I plan on starting the Home Medicine 101 certification as soon as I've finished Conquering Sugar.

One of my passions is foraging.  One morning this past summer, I dragged my family all over the county harvesting wild elderberry.  That was a great day.  The syrup we made from that is helping us get through what is turning out to be one of the nation's worst flu seasons.  I'm going to start growing elderberry and echinacea and other immunity-boosting plants this spring.
  • Scott Sexton
    Scott Sexton Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I like to take powdered herbs and mix them with peanut butter and honey. Then I roll them into balls and put them in the freezer to firm up. It's the easiest way to get my kids to take them. We've also tried making gummies with mixed results.
  • Brodo
    Brodo Posts: 4 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That's a great idea, Scott!  You can put just about anything in peanut butter and honey and it would still taste great.
  • Scott Sexton
    Scott Sexton Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ha. Glad you like that. Wanna know my other favorite trick for making wild herbs more palatable? Don't tell your kids what's in the stew. haha Just kidding. They actually eat the wild stuff. It's "normal" foods they won't eat. Like beans. I'm the only bean eater in my house. Oh well. More for me.
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited March 2018
    That is a clever idea, Scott! Love it!
  • Robert Held
    Robert Held Posts: 4
    edited March 2018
    I like to make Rosemary Gladstar's Fire Cider, every time I feel like somethings coming on I start taking a shot glass full about two to three times a day.  My wife works at a school and is around kids all day and she started to take it as a preventative.  We both haven't been sick this winter. knock on wood.  the stuff really works.

I also make a salve out of comfrey root in the winter and the leaves in the spring and summer, I use bee's wax, lavender oil, and comfrey.  Really helps with pain.  Since I also bees I make a propolis tincture when I can collect enough propolis.
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I love  making salves, tinctures, liniments, massage oils,  medicinal herbal tea blends and tonics for years.  Herbs are 100% of  my medicine cabinet, there is nothing else in there but herbal preparations lol.  We grow some not nearly enough :0
  • Deborah Schaffner
    Deborah Schaffner Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thats awesome! Heather, I have been making salves, creams, tinctures, syrups, gardening and wildcrafting  etc, for years too. I love it! My family was raised with herbal medicines and still come to me for their medicine needs. It's a great lifestyle!

Robert, it's wonderful that you raise bees! What a resource you have and a beautiful thing to use in medicines!
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes Deborah it is a way of life!

-Heather
  • griesjoe
    griesjoe Posts: 5
    edited March 2018
    Robert, were do you get the comfrey?  Do you grow it yourself and if so were did you get the plants?
  • prdevero
    prdevero Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Almond butter for me, I appear to have developed a sensitivity to peanuts :-(

With manuka honey, oh yes, mmm mm, that will knock any bug out of the park
  • Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
    edited June 2018
    Agreed, Robert Held -- love that fire cider!