Help! How do you eat raw garlic without gagging?

Merin Porter
Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
Marin

Have you tried just juicing the the garlic..or even take some beef bone broth or chicken bone broth and some garlic and blend it up with a vitamin or ninja or something like that..you can warm the broth first?  i personally eat a clove raw(i do  make sure its a smaller clove and take 2 if necessary.., never had a problem..usually I just say to my boys " if you wanna get better get over it and stop your whining LOL  (i use the same when my boys complain about taking a shot of ACV LOL)

Comments

• Casey Cash
    Casey Cash Posts: 21
    edited June 2018
    Hey Merin,

I had trouble eating raw garlic when I first started. What I do now is smash the garlic and let it rest for about 10 minutes. I then chop it up into smaller pieces and swallow it rather than chew. Right after consuming the garlic I eat an apple and that seems to calm the burning and indigestion that can come from eating raw garlic.

Hope this helps!
  • hsutv
    hsutv Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    We make old-fashioned aioli sauce.
    Even my kids, who avoided garlic before, love it and put it onto everything now:

in a pint jar, combine
    1 head garlic (12 cloves or so)
    1 rounded tsp himalayan or sea salt
    fill jar to 3/4 or 1 cup mark with olive oil
    blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy

my theory is the sulfur compounds that help make it spicy bind with the oil (like in mayo), thereby mitigating the spiciness and at the same time making the oil easier to digest. Dress it up with your favorie herbs - voila!
  • DKWolford
    DKWolford Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I love garlic!  I mean I put it on everything. (Well, almost).  My favorite way of eating garlic is baked!  Take about 6 heads of garlic  and chop off the tops, just enough to open the cloves. Do not bother to peal them.  Drizzle olive oil over the cloves and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 - 30 minutes or until the cloves feel soft.  They will open up and all you have to do is grab them with a fork and enjoy!  They have an entirely different flavor once they've been baked and are not that potent.  I even have a special clay baking dish to make them in.  I don't remember where I got it but it's has a domed lid and helps keep the cloves from burning.  Try it, you'll always want to eat garlic this way!
  • lmikolyski
    lmikolyski Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    What we do with garlic is similar to many here. We chop a clove, let it sit while eating something, then swallow the pieces of garlic with water or almond milk.  My son and daughter in law like the milk, I can do it with water. I may smell like garlic, but I don't notice it, and no one has ever told me I smell like it

Another way is to blend a clove or 2, depending on size, into a smoothy.  Even a fruit smoothie is interesting with garlic in it.

I love garlic as a home remedy. Gotta try that aioli sauce. Sounds wonderful.
  • Sue
    Sue Posts: 2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have trouble eating raw garlic even though I knew it is good for me. However; I have no problem cooking with garlic but I read it doesn’t contain the same health benefits for doing so. For me the tastiest way to eat raw garlic is stuffed into olives in a brine. A company called Mezzetta Offers them as a salad topping. However; they are so tasty it’s hard for those olives to even get to the salad because they are just that good in their own.
  • Melanie
    Melanie Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Salad dressing made with lots of

minced fresh garlic, vinegar, olive oil, a bit of honey, basil, sea salt , oregano and pepper.
  • SuzanneWhitley
    SuzanneWhitley Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I don't mind the taste of garlic tincture at all!
  • celizp
    celizp Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I never knew that people actually gag trying to eat raw garlic. Cough, yes, because of the heat - but gagging is a reaction I was not aware of. I have been eating a raw garlic clove daily for many years now. I used to chop it finely, but after months of doing that I got tired of messing with it. I now cut a clove in 3-4 pieces and let it set for around 10 min for the enzymes to activate. Then I eat it with a few slices of apple and a dab of nut butter (almond). If the clove is hot - the faster I chew and the quicker it goes down! Followed with a gulp of water, another slice of apple and another dab of nut butter, my 'natural medicine' is taken and I move on with my day. My husband takes his raw garlic chopped on any meal that is not fruit-based: salads, fish, eggs, chicken, casseroles, Mexican-style fare, etc. Most anything works for him. Our daughter takes her raw garlic like I do - usually followed with a 'heat' cough!
  • David Soch
    David Soch Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I culture whole garlic in a pickl-it jar under a 3.6% brine with seasonings of dill seed and occasionally juniper berries.  I let it culture about one month and then it is repacked into canning jars and kept in the fridge until I want to eat garlic cloves often mixed with other cultured vegetables as an accompaniment to the evening meal.  I've noticed the longer it sits in the fridge, the milder it becomes.
  • Donna Johnson
    Donna Johnson Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    My favorite way to prepare garlic is pickling it. Peel the cloves and put them in a jar. I usually fill a pint jar with the cloves. Then pour raw apple cider vinegar in and make sure all the garlic is covered completely. Let it sit for about a month. Shake it whenever you think about it. After the month is up pour off the acv and measure it. Use half of it in salad dressings, etc. Take the other half and mix it with that much raw honey (if you originally used 1 cup of vinegar, mix together 1/2 cup of the vinegar and 1/2 cup of the honey). Pour over the cloves of garlic. It will last a long time like this because the vinegar is a preservative. The pickling takes some of the "bite" out of the garlic. Now when you want you can go get a clove or several for a real immune boosting.

I gave my daughter some in the winter when she was getting sick, then the rest of mine disappeared.  And don't forget to use the left over mixture. One year I ran out of the garlic, but continued to use the honey and acv mixture and it still helped. Some of the goodness from the garlic seeped into it and it is yummy.
  • Susan McNeela
    Susan McNeela Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I can't eat garlic at all because it causes me to have severe migraines.  Before I developed this reaction, I would chop it and eat it covered in honey.  If I took too much at once or took it without food, I would vomit, so I had to be careful with amount.  I was recently able to have a little in my "fire juice" mixture without developing a migraine and may be able to increase the amount next time.  My husband is able to eat raw garlic chopped and mixed in peanut butter after allowing it to sit for 10 minutes.  It was amazing how fast an oncoming upper respiratory infection disappeared when he did this!
  • Edward
    Edward Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I am Asian so it is not a big deal. When we eat out, there is always soy sauce and often, there is also chopped chili to add to the soy sauce. When it is available or we ask for it, we also add the chopped garlic as well. Remember the green wasabi{fake of course} paste that you get with sushi and how soy sauce takes  the sting out of it? It works with garlic too.
  • Nancy Sarno
    Nancy Sarno Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Look up a recipe for TOUM, a middle eastern raw garlic dip/sauce (bulbs of raw garlic, lemon/vinegar and oil). I heard about it for years and avoided it, thinking a raw garlic-heavy dip couldn’t possibly be appealing. On first taste, however, it was the best thing I ever tasted! Utterly tantalising! I can’t make it as well as Middle Eastern people so usually don’t bother. I buy it from  a number of different food stores  & can’t be without it. Try it at least once!
  • aftabshah
    aftabshah Posts: 2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    1. Cut the cloves on your food (lunch/dinner) and eat it.

2. You can also crush the cloves along with other herbs like mint, coriander leaves, onions and green chilies or the combination of your liking to make a Chatni to eat with your food or snakes.
  • Landa Roon
    Landa Roon Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    i don't do it often at all, but when i do i put the clove in my mouth with the skin off. When it seems to have little garlic flavor, i bite it a little bit and let that flavor soak into my body until it's again a weak garlic taste. Repeat. Usually i get some reasonably hot, substantial garlic - but sometimes it takes a long time on a hot garlic and i might not finish that one. Probably spit it out in an hour or so....
  • Deborah Dailey
    Deborah Dailey Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I can tolerate the taste of a clove or two of raw garlic with no problem, but when it hits my stomach, it feels like an instant ulcer.  I love cooked garlic in just about anything, but find that the best way to eat it raw is crushed with other herbs in a salad.
  • Martha Skinner
    Martha Skinner Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I eat mine like Marjory sometimes with a sprinkling of salt but I will have to try the soy sauce method.  Does fermenting change the medicinal properties?  What about pickling, as mentioned in another post.
  • Sharon Companion
    Sharon Companion Posts: 28
    edited June 2018
    I am currently growing my own garlic so that I can use it to make both aged garlic and black garlic.  I have heard that aged & black garlic are softer, sweeter and much more palatable than raw.  Apparently, aged and black garlic have double the antioxidants and nutritional value of raw garlic except for allicin (sulfur compound).  I am going to try a combination of raw/aged/black garlic together, hopefully the aged and black garlic will tone down the strong taste of the raw garlic.
  • lynn_reeb
    lynn_reeb Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I like to chop my raw organic garlic and eat it with toast. The bread has generous amounts of butter, a thin slice of cheese, lots of garlic and Himalayan salt. Yum!  Or, I simply eat the raw chopped garlic with peanut butter and salt, on toast.

• Nikki
    Nikki Posts: 20 admin
    edited June 2018
    This sounds delicious, Lynn! Great idea. Thank you for sharing.
  • Nikki
    edited June 2018
    Definitely keep us posted on your success, Sharon! We would love to hear about how the aged and black garlic turns out. :)
  • Nikki
    edited June 2018
    This is a great suggestion, @dkwolford! Thank you so much for posting this!
  • Stephen Elliott
    Stephen Elliott Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    This is what I do and it works well for me.
    1. Take one to two cloves crush or chop
    2. Place on a spoon and cover with honey
    3. Let sit for five to ten minutes
    4. chew it or just swallow it
    5. Take a drink of water
  • Stevie
    Stevie Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    A few ways off the top of my head:

pesto - good extra virgin olive oil, herbs (usually basil but could be anything), pine nuts (or any nuts really), parmesan, garlic, s&p add quantities to taste.

mango salad - 1 ripe mango, 1 avocado, 1 small red onion, 1 chilli, 1 red pepper, small handful coriander, 2 garlic cloves. a touch of salt but go easy. dress with honey and lime juice.

guacamole - avocado, red/spring onions, tomatoes, green chillis, cumin, garlic, salt, lime juice. Experiment with quantities & consistency - I like mine spicy, lumpy & avocado-y!

beetroot tzatziki - a large raw beet (or a cooked one will do, but not pickled), Greek yoghurt, small bunch of mint, garlic - nice twist on a Greek classic

If you want methods etc, let me know.

Get it down ye people! Medicine never tasted so good!

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'm really conscious of my breath, so I like to chop it up really fine and eat it with applesauce. I put a little applesauce on the spoon to coat it, no more than a third of the garlic, and drip applesauce to cover over the top. I swallow it without chewing and if I do it right, I don't even taste the garlic. I do this two or three times to finish the clove. While I may exude garlic from my pores, I think this helps my breath smell less intensely garlicky. Even my kids can do it.
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited July 2018
    I like the idea of adding it to bone broth! I cook with garlic, but..If I take it raw...I get...uh....a lot of gas!
  • lindamp88
    lindamp88 Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    When I first tried eating a raw garlic, I threw up a few minutes later.  I read in a comment on another website about eating it with a little (maybe a tablespoon) humus or guacamole.  When I did that, I could eat 1/2 a chopped raw clove without a problem.        I also learned from a garlic farmer at the farmers market about soaking garlic cloves in honey:   clean the cloves, mostly fill a jar, then pour honey over it til the garlic is covered, working with a table knife so the honey gets down to the bottom and around every clove,  cover and refrigerate for a month.   At first the galic rises to the top, so I mix it up every day, and as time goes on, as needed, to prevent the garlic that's out of the honey from getting moldy.  This mellows the garlic a lot, and I eat a clove with a little of the honey every day.  By the time I get to the bottom of the pint jar, the garlic is very mild.    The farmer told me he hadn't been sick in 12 years since he started doing that.  In 4 years I only got sick once over the winter. But I don't know if that was the cause.                                                       I don't know if the medicinal properties  are still in the garlic & honey or not, when it is that mild.   That's why I tried eating it raw.  The humus or guacamole really helped.      Another yummy way  to eat garlic is garlic toast, recipe from Dr. Bernard Jensen's book, Foods that Heal.  Mix 1/4 c. olive oil, 6-8 cloves garlic, pressed, 2 t. tamari, & 1 T. finely minced parsley (optional but good).   Can spread on bread and toast for a minute or two under the broiler or in a toaster oven.  But being usually  too tired or in a hurry, I toast the bread and then spread it on,  so it's basically raw.          Linda
  • Nadia Cassar
    Nadia Cassar Posts: 3
    edited July 2018
    Hey there! Some interesting ideas you got there. I eat between half a bulb and one whole bulb of garlic daily and never get infections. However, I do cook it on many occasions. I chop it a few minutes before adding it to the last few minutes of the cooking process, so that it only softens a bit. I love to do this with sauces and when sautéing.

If I ever got sick and had to take raw garlic, I would first chop a clove or two in pill-sized pieces, then fill a bottle of filtered water (not a glass), tilt my head back and gulp down each piece with a lot of water. I hope that helps a bit!
  • AndreaDennin
    AndreaDennin Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    My herbalist mentor taught us to crush the garlic then put it in a shot glass with equal parts water and lemon juice and shoot it straight.

The lemon juice makes me forget about the garlic, lol. And because it’s a small glass you swallow it one gulp and you’re done.

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited October 2018
    Are there any tricks to avoid garlic farts?  Probably TMI but if I eat raw garlic daily I start to lose friends, and even my family won't come near me.

Is there a way to get the benefits of raw garlic without eating it?  Will a tincture have the same effects?  Or do I just need to buy those carbon filter fart catching underwear?  Ha!