Natural sciatica remedies

H_D
H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
Yoga!

My wife is a yoga instructor.  I am frequently amazed by the healing power of  movement.  (when used correctly)

You seem to know your stuff about herbal medicine.  So I am sure you have already tried all of the normal pain relief and anti inflammatory herbs/plants.  I have found herbal medicine to often work great in combination with movement medicine (yoga, physical therapy, etc).

M

Comments

• MikeF
    MikeF Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I asked, and she said this link has most of the poses that should help:  https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/yoga-by-benefit/sciatica
  • H_D
    edited July 2018
    Mike, Thank you so much.  Yoga is one thing i have yet to try however, I do find myself in many of those "poses" in attempts to relieve the pain when sciatica attacks! I do have a phenomenal cranio sacral therapist that works on me  too (thats my PT lol) Thank you for the information I will keep it handy ....unfortunately for me, there is always a next time when it comes to sciatic nerve pain.

Heather
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited September 2018
    If you are suffering from true sciatica, the any stretch that will lesson the pressure on the nerve should help.  Most of the time, it is caused from the muscles located under your larger butt muscles, they can shorten, or lengthen, and cause an imbalance within the tensegrity of the hips.  So figuring out how your hips have shifted is where you will find your solution.  If caused by a shortening of the supporting muscles, then stretching will help.  If the pain is caused by a weakening of the supporting tissues, stretching will aggravate it.  Hope this helps some.
  • Prepperid
    Prepperid Posts: 14
    edited September 2018
    Hey, Heather-

Have you tried inversion therapy?  It helps my husband, he swears by inversion and his tens unit.

Praying your pain subsides.

Laura
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    Laura,
    Yes! We have an inversion table..it works but as soon as I am standing the pain is back. I do use my TENS (actually when sciatica hits its on me 24/7 lol) but this time I went a different route with cranial sacral therapy and not only did the pain go away by the end of the hour session, i feel stronger and more fluid moving in my hip joints than ever. Usually I can feel a sciatica attack creeping up but i have not felt that weakness in over a month when i would feel it and have an attack weekly.

Heather