My Dog and cat Arthritis

SandraR
SandraR Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
first check and make sure your feeding the pets good, organic healthy food. The processed non organic stuff is just as bad for them as it is for us if not more. Most have canola oil in them which is harmful to their health. In general you need to look for herbs that reduce inflammation and help alleviate pain and those that will help repair the root cause of the inflammatory process. a true healing protocol would depend on the type of arthritis your animals have. so below is a long list of different herbs and nutrition for pets, some of it being specific to the inflammatory process your pets are experiencing and some of the recommendations are specific to healing the condition. ..each remedy has a slightly different action again dpeepnding on the symptoms you see would guide your choice in herbs.

essential fatty acids (EFAs) to reduce inflammation and oral supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin and Hyaluronanic acid (Baxyl is a brand name) and CBD oil (this is the most effective no matter what type of arthritis it is) are effective.

Herbs for Pet Arthritis Pain and Inflammation
licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) for its potent anti-inflammatory action. It replaces steroids (cortisone) With licorice root, although it may take a month or two before we see positive results, we avoid the adverse side effects of cortisone.

Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) also has been reported to be good for painful arthritis, with actions similar to cortisone.

St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) not only eases the pain, it helps in the healing process, especially of damaged nerves.

Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) is especially good for the more actively painful arthritis or rheumatism where muscle pain is also involved.

Willow bark (Salix spp.) is rich in anti-inflammatory salicylates, the stuff found in aspirin. Due to the cat’s inability to properly break down and eliminate salicylates, don’t use willow for cats only dogs.

Cayenne (Capsicum annuum) taken internally seems to offer pain relief for some . In addition, cayenne acts as a systemic stimulant, helping move herbs and other medicines into joint areas where they are needed.

Antioxidants protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are produced when a cell is exposed to any of a number of toxins, including pesticides, herbicides, toxic emissions in the air, etc. Free radicals are also produced by cells surrounding the joint whenever excess or abnormal strains or pressures are applied.

Herbs as Antioxidants
Many herbs are highly antioxidant as well as containing good levels of necessary vitamins. I especially like culinary herbs (because most people have them int he kitchen cabinet) such as oregano (Origanum majorana), thyme (Thymus vulgaris), ginger (Zingiber officinale), basil (Ocimum basilicum), parsley (Petroselinum crispum) and celery seeds (Apium graveolens) they can be sprinkled on a pet’s food daily, . Find a combination of these herbs your pet enjoys. It’s been my experience that with a little patience, almost all pets eventually grow to like some culinary herbs.

Pillar 6: Healing Supplements

I usually recommend therapeutic levels of vitamins A, C and E (along with selenium), added to a pet’s diet for three to six months, then decreasing the dosage to maintenance dosing. Check with your holistic veterinarian for dosages, as they’re related to the size of the animal and to the severity of the disease.

Many arthritic conditions respond very well to the chondroprotective agents, which not only promote new cartilage growth but also decrease pain and improve joint mobility. Perhaps the best is glucosamine, used at the regular human dosage schedule, altered to fit your animal’s weight. Other chondroprotective agents include chondroitin sulfate, MSM and SAM-e. Consider making a good bone broth and mix it in with your pets food.

Herbs for Pet Arthritis
I’ve found herbs to be of great help for adding to the other medicines used, and some of my favorites include the following:

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is an anti-inflammatory herb that has been effectively used specifically for arthritis. can be sprinkled on the pets food

Boswellia (Boswellia carteri) is another herb traditionally used for arthritis. Both turmeric and boswellia are popular herbs used to treat arthritis in Ayurvedic medicine.

Devil’s claw (Harpagophytum procumbens), an herb from South Africa, is a potent anti-inflammatory and is specific for treating arthritis and rheumatism. (given as a tincture)

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) and yucca root (Yucca spp.) are herbs that traditionally have been used to treat arthritis. T

For all the herbs, I prefer a “sprinkle-the-herbs-over-your-pet’s-dinner” approach—giving your pet the benefit of all of the herbs’ medicines as well as offering more safety than with the herbal extractions (tinctures) that may concentrate one potentially toxic biochemical. However, some of the specific arthritic herbs (such as devil’s claw, frankincense and turmeric) may have increased action in the concentrated doses found in tinctures and/or capsules. For tinctures again, use the human dose listed on the product label, adjusted to the pet’s size/weight.

Hope this is helpful
Happy Healing
Heather

Comments

• SandraR
    edited July 2018
    Heather, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it very much.
    I give both dog and cats Nature's Recipe Grain Free.
    I have turmeric. I will start adding it to the food. And go to the vitamin store tomorrow and pick up some of the ones you listed.
    I take CBD oil for the arthritis in my hand. Is human grade ok for them? I take innovative CBD.

Thank you again, Sandra
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    yes you can give them the same CBD you take just adjust the dose for their size :)
  • SandraR
    edited July 2018
    OK thank you.

Sandra