New House New Herb Garden?

lorifloyd5
lorifloyd5 Posts: 11
edited August 2018 in DIY Tutorials
How much fun.  A new clean slate.  Looking forward to hearing about the progress.  Best of luck.

Comments

• MrsK
    MrsK Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Sounds like fun, work, but the fun kind of work. Looking forward to seeing it.
  • Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Do a little research so you know how much room everything needs.  Some things stay in their little space and some things spread and go everywhere.  Those are the ones you need to know about.   Have fun and we are all looking forward to your pictures in the future!
  • lorifloyd5
    edited September 2018
    Im trying to upload a pic of the back yard flower bed but it keeps telling me the file size is too big.  What do I do to make it the right size? The flower bed wraps all the way around the side.  Any ideas on how to separate the plants that spread? I would also like to plant a prickly pear but I'm a little scared it might take over the yard. I am bringing lavender, lemon balm, chamomile, and basil with me in pots to transplant. I would love to plant mullein, echinacea and yarrow for starters.
  • StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Echinacea and yarrow are 2 of my favorites! Once they are established, you can make tinctures from both of them. I use the echinacea tincture at the first sign of a cold. It really stops or at least shortens the duration, if you use it right away. The yarrow tincture is used as a base for my bug spray. Yarrow is also good to have around to stop bleeding.

Oregano is great to have, as well. It will take over a bed within a few years (speaking from experience ?). I don’t mind though, it keeps all our little pollinators quite happy!

When I created my herb garden, I did a lot of research on how much space each plant needed and the type of sun exposure they prefer. You probably won’t have actual seed packets to glean information from since you have most of the plants started, so looking at seed company websites could be helpful.

Have fun with it and best of luck!
  • christen
    christen Posts: 16
    edited September 2018
    My favorite way to keep things from spreading is using pots which also can add another layer to the garden.  Toss a tall, brightly colored pot in the back or middle of a bed to give a little extra color or use a whiskey barrel for a more antique-y look.
  • lorifloyd5
    edited September 2018
    These are great ideas! I just got Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs guide and Body Into Balance. I'm having fun planning! ? I can't figure out how to post pictures though!
  • alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Look forward to seeing your progress Lorifloyd5.  I'm in the process of adding medicinals and food to my garden as well, but with the extra added bonus of keeping the chickens out.  I'm working on adding the herbs I buy most - so calendula, echinacea, yarrow, nettle, marshmallow, comfrey, and elder.

Good Luck and have fun!

Anne