Are you smart enough to grow food?

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited September 2018 in Our Garden: Growing Food
This was common practice in medieval times up through the Victorian era.  You diversified your family as much as you could.  They tried to marry daughters off to wealthy persons scattered across Europe so that is something terrible happened you would have some place to flee to.  Your sons got placed into careers that would support them and their future family.  The oldest son usually  inherited the family home/ farm. My family are all readers.  We have more books that line all our walls floor to ceiling than most public libraries.  I'd like to be able to point you to one reputable book but my brain is having trouble coming up with one that has the whole simple story.  I will think on this tonight and run it past my family tomorrow as we are moving appliances to KS in the morning.  Got to have something to discuss on that long trip!

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    edited September 2018
    Oh Cherylnn,

Thank you! Yes if you could find a good reference or two.  No rush...

I super appreciate it.

Hah, and see you are smart enough!  LOL

• AmyWhitney
    AmyWhitney Posts: 5
    edited January 2019
    Did you find the reference you were looking for? Best I found was a Wikipedia page on land inheritance. It said that in many cultures (in many other parts of the world), birth order and gender determined who got the family land, or the biggest part of the family land. An exception was the Spanish Basques, who "gave their land to the one considered best qualified, though they had a preference for sons."

I like to think that no one has to be especially "smart" to grow food, just interested enough to pay attention to their crops and willing to learn. Book-smarts can get in the way of successful gardening, because it is possible to rely so much on something written that the gardener doesn't take time to really SEE the garden and all that is going on with the crop, even if the crop is as simple as a pot of basil on the porch.

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I recall hearing on an Alex Jones broadcast or the like that the elite don't have anything but organic food and they have a primary residence in remote areas.
    Prince Charles is well known for his organic garden[s].
    There's this article:
    https://www.sott.net/article/251767-The-Elite-Eat-Organic-Monsanto-for-the-Masses

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/wealthy-chinese-are-avoiding-food-scares-with-their-own-organic-farms/article31220608/

Not exactly what you were looking for, but something.

Also, Bill Bonner; billionaire, founder of The Daily Reckoning, author etc etc, openly wrote until a year or so ago in The Daily Reckoning of his multiple properties around the world where he raised his own beef etc. For memory he had [at that time] recently purchased a farm house in a rural area of France and was revamping it. Never a mention of chemicals in all the entries. His articles were always entertaining and insightful.

Alison
  • Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ok, this is a different tangent than you posted, but if you want to encourage people to change to organics and growing their own food, this is a REALLY compelling, though highly disturbing reason to do so. It's horrifying in that it's true and that most people have no idea about it.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/17/senomyx-flavor-enhancers.aspx
    https://drrichswier.com/2015/07/19/kraft-pepsi-and-nestle-the-using-aborted-babies-for-flavor-additives/
    https://www.lifenews.com/2018/06/08/pro-life-group-releases-list-of-products-cosmetics-and-vaccines-made-using-cells-from-aborted-babies/

• Marjory Wildcraft
    edited January 2019
    Hi Allison, CHerlynn, everyone - whew I've been in Summit mode and offline for a bit.  I've missed you!

Allison - yikes!  those articles are ...  gosh I don't know what to say.  Shocking.

But I did note that they aren't actually using the babies for ingredients in food - it's only for testing.  They take cells from the unborn fetus's kidneys and somehow test the tastiness of the food.  SO we are not into cannibalism here.

And it still is horrifying.

In general I don't like to get heavy on the 'negative' with the blog, but I am finding that having some news of what is going on does help re-affirm decisions to grow food.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marjory - re your question "are you Smart, enough to grow... food": Well, you know the foods really grow themselves for the most part, fortunately... LOOK at any Wild-forests. They have no problems Germinating, Growing, Weeding, Regenerating, & Maintaining; at least not - until adult humanity interferes with stupidity, sigh.

Also from all the folks I have taught, from very Beginners & also others, what it boils down to: How interested is the person? How many questions will he/she ask? - Children, especially before school-age are the Best gardeners because they are eager, Enthusiastic, & willing Experimenters... & so they learn quickly by their very nature. --- Adults stand much to learn from the youngest amongst us. I know this & so we Home-schooled. what Fun... :)