Comments

• peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited September 2018
    Great idea.
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    edited September 2018
    OK, here is an update.  I'm back from Boston (OMG that was a stressful trip...).

And no flies, but only a small spider with 1 leg missing.

Was the spider thinking this is a good place to catch flies too?  I doubt she could have eaten all the flies...  I mean this is a small spider.

The bait I used was an old rotting piece of meant, and I put the trap on the ground by the patio wall.  Should I try another kind of bait and put the trap higher?  It's pretty warm during the day, but very chilly in the evenings.  Is it too late?

Enquiring minds want to know!  LOL

• Renee Ilse
    Renee Ilse Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The flies seem to be very attracted to my horse feed.  I use beet pulp shreds and a pelleted feed and I wet it down so it's moist.  The flies swarm to this stuff - until I put it in a fly trap!  I have made the sort of trap you did, Marjory, but haven't had a ton of luck with it.  I did use one in the house to catch some of those little irritating fruit flies, with apple cider vinegar as the bait and it did work somewhat (well, I caught some but not all).  I stretched plastic wrap across the top and poked little holes in it so they could crawl in but not find their way out.
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    edited September 2018
    Oh yes, I bet flies would like moist sweet feed :)

Lucky you have a horse :)