Tomato sauce, sauerkraut, and fermented carrots

StacyLou
StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭
edited September 2018 in DIY Tutorials
I have never had fermented carrots.  Sounds fabulous.  I've made several batches of salsa.  It is my go to condiment.  Zucchini relish, dilly green beans and cinnamon apples as well.

Comments

• StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I’ve never had fermented carrots either! We had a good carrot crop this year, so I perused the internet in search of something different. They don’t take long to ferment,  just a few days, so we’ll be taste testing soon. We’re going to ferment some green beans too.

I love salsa, but I haven’t come up with a mild enough recipe yet. My stomach reacts very poorly to spicy food. I made some zucchini pickles for the first time this year, but haven’t tried the relish. Dilly beans are awesome. Cinnamon apples...mmm.
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've fermented carrots and cauliflower together they were delish!
  • Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    edited September 2018
    I will start another batch of sauerkraut soon. did the first one last year and it was crazy easy and tasted wonderfull. The kids loved it.

have some dried chilies and of course dried herbs and herbs frozen in olive oil.

canned tomato sauce with and without zucchini and garlic. Oh and still some pickled cucumbers.
  • sherryo
    sherryo Posts: 58
    edited September 2018
    I'm a fermentation fan.  I use it as a first resort.   It's low tech, and it's a living food, very good for healing a leaky gut.

I have fermented carrots on their own and with other ingredients and they are good, good.  My usual go to is adding ginger to the carrots.

Right now I have the last of spring's saurkraut and cabbage kimchi in the fridge, along with fermented radish, cucumbers and onions.

It's still hot down here in Texas.  Most of my fermenting happens in the cooler times of year so I will be ramping up production again in November.