Poison Ivy won't stop spreading!!

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear your little guy got poison ivy!

My partner got poison ivy a few months ago and we had a terrible time trying to find something that would keep the itch under control.

From our experience, here are a few things that helped temporarily relieve the itch:

- witch hazel applied with a cotton ball and then ice pack on top.

- tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil and white clay. He would apply this at night and cover with a light gauze so it wouldn't get all over the sheets and his clothes.

- activated charcoal mixed with white clay and water. We put it on his skin until dry and flaky and then he washed it off.

It really is a struggle though. We tried so many mixtures and it seemed like unless he had some sort treatment on the rash at all times it would itch like crazy. It took about a month for it to completely clear up :(

Wishing you all the best! I know it's super frustrating trying to find a solution without turning to pharmaceuticals.

Comments

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    >take 30C or 200C potency of homeopathic Rhus toxicodendron - placing one pellet under the tongue or one pellet in water, stirring vigorously and taking teaspoon doses as needed you can also put the water on topically

heather
  • sherryo
    sherryo Posts: 58
    edited June 2018
    Oh dear, you guys have my sympathies.

It does take a while for all the damage to appear, but this seems like a long time for new spots to pop up.

Is there any possibility that he is getting additional exposure?

My daughter was very sensitive, and we ended up at the doctor's office more than once, because she would get it in her eyes or mouth.

She would pick up a rash from:
    • people's clothes
    • petting our cat because the cat would have the oil on her fur.
    • whenever a neighbor mowed their infested yard.
    We implemented changes like fencing that kept cat in bounds and being careful to change and launder clothes after working near the plant before touching daughter.  I wouldn't allow her outside when neighbor cut grass.

While making these changes I also scrubbed her with Tecnu (sp?  It's a product that can wash through and remove the oily poison) anytime she was exposed.  It doesn't stop it, but it keeps it from spreading secondarily.

Keeping her very cool and oatmeal baths seemed to help with the itching.
  • horselady602
    horselady602 Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    I make up a paste of goldenseal and apple cider vinegar. Apply and it take care of the poison oak. My son and husband Just looks at it and it is full blown. It was gone in a day’s time.
  • christen
    christen Posts: 16
    edited September 2018
    We have poison oak here in Oregon.  I don't know exactly how much they are related, so I don't know if this will work on poison ivy.  Years ago, someone told me that you can rub the area with fern spores (from the bottom of fern leaves) to stop poison oak.  I haven't tested it personally, but have seen it work instantly on people who decided to test it themselves.  (Even after my telling them not to do it intentionally.)
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    It sounds like your little guy is getting re-infected by something, maybe a favorite toy or blanket?  Wash everything in hot soapy water, the more soap the better.  At this point I would wash him in a hot shower with a strong soap.  It sounds like the oil that causes the poison ivy is still on him, new spots shouldn't still be appearing.  In the past, I have used a strong liquid dish soap on myself and my youngest, and washed everything I could see in soapy water.  It took a less than a week for us to get better once I did that.
    The  herbal remedy for poison ivy is the sap of the jewelweed plant.  It doesn't grow up north here, but it may grow where you are.  It works really fast...as in hours.