End of Season for us!

Sharon Companion
Sharon Companion Posts: 28
edited September 2018 in Seed Swaps
I'm interested in bartering. I live in Northern Wisconsin (zone 3) and I have many of the same plants as you but let's keep this thread going. I'm also needing Prickly Pear....can that be rooted by a leaf or pad cutting? Actually, I'm looking for all the same plants you are looking for. Hmm ...  I have some oak trees but I think they are red oak. Need anything Pine? I have tons of birch trees (thus chaga) in my area...I just have to go to neighboring woods to get it. Usually it grows up high in the trees and that's hard for me to get to but I am always on the lookout for chaga. I even carry an axe and machete in my car. I'll will keep you in mind as I'm on the hunt :)

Comments

• Sharon Companion
    edited May 2018
    Hi Wendy Sue:

Thanks for your reply!  I just planted some prickly pear from seed (only two years before I get flowers :).  From what I hear the pad cuttings root very easily, you just stick them in the ground.  I am hoping to purchase some when I travel this summer.  I am going to Quebec and New Brunswick to see if I can find some chaga.  We have a lot of black spruce here, not much birch and lots of willows.  The snow if finally starting to go and my plants want outside!  My cucumbers already have flowers.  Can't wait to go foraging!

• WendySue
    WendySue Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Sharon....I found prickly pear pads at an Economart grocery store in a town close to me...in the produce section. Next time I go there, I'll get some and try to start from a pad. I could use Willow sticks and it's hard to find willows around my area. Regarding the chaga...you can buy it on Etsy. Lot's of good sellers and all different kinds. I get mine from there usually since it's easier than tromping through woods and climbing birch trees.

Update:  The Economart is not stocking prickly pear anymore, so I'm still looking for some pads or cuttings if anyone has access??
  • Sharon Companion
    edited May 2018
    We have pussy willow and black willow that I know of.  We don't have any weeping willow here. I could get you either pussy willow or black willow (or both) in a few weeks.  We still have some snow but it should be all gone soon.  You can send your address to my email: dwaynesharonb@netscape.net.  I think the black willow is really good for pain.  Let me know if you would like one or both.

Regards
  • Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    WendySue if you still need or want White Oak bark I can provide some for you. How much would you like? We have a lot of White Oak on our farm in Western Kentucky. We also have Echinacea but not enough to wildcraft this year. It started showing up last year and I am waiting to have more before I start taking from it.

In exchange I would like some of your dried Chickweed.

Obiora
  • WendySue
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Obiora,

My chickweed did not do well at all this season. I don't even have enough to dry some or tincture it :(

I still could use the willow though.  Interested in plantain seeds?  I have a bunch of those. What else do you need?

WendySue
  • Obiora E
    edited August 2018
    WendySue okay no worries. What about Pineapple Weed? I would like to get some of that. I have both Narrow Leaf and Broadleaf Plantain, so need for that, unless you are referring tone of the native varieties?! If so I would like seeds of Plantain.

I can get you sticks of Willow. It will be French Pussy Willow. About how many sticks do you need and what size?
  • WendySue
    edited August 2018
    I have the native plantain....I'll gather seeds for you, just need your address. As far as the willow....I think I need small branches from a willow tree, like a weeping willow. I've never seen French Pussy Willow...it might work. I can try some if you're okay with that. Small diameter sticks: 1/4 inch. How about 5 to start with? What ever length you have. I don't need them to be long, just short 6 inches would be fine.

Thanks!!

Here is my address:

WendySue Hagins

16153 W Anderson Rd., Hayward, Wisconsin 54843

You can also call me at: 715-634-3547

• Obiora E
    edited September 2018
    WendySue,

I am sorry that it has taken me so long but I have sent off your package this afternoon. I packed up for you Corkscrew Willow that was cut yesterday morning. It has been shipped Priority Mail and it should arrive by Thursday.

If you cannot read my return address let me know and I will send you my address via email.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Obiora
  • WendySue
    edited September 2018
    Hi Obiora,

I did get the package....thank you!! Smells wonderfully fresh :)

I'll be picking the plantain seeds hopefully today. Yes, I can read your address.

Do you need any of the leaves? Need any mullein leaves? A whole bunch just came up. I'm getting frost any day now so I have to be quick.

Thanks again,

WendySue
  • WendySue
    edited September 2018
    Hi Sharon,

This season went way too fast for me....I still need prickly pear if you have any. I can try doing a cutting.

I could use chickweed (mine never really amounted to anything this year). I could also use eyebright, black willow, and horsetail if you have any left.

I started some horsetail in a pot, but it's not sturdy enough to harvest and I use it all the time for my tooth infection.

I have plantain seeds and mullein leaves (fresh), also mullein seeds still on the stalk. I'm getting frost any minute now so let me know if I can send you anything asap.

I never got a chance to go scouting for chaga....just too busy. Hope you found some. The Etsy seller I've been using is: Bliss Wildcrafts and I really like their chaga.

My email is: contactwendysue@gmail.com

You can call me too at: 715-634-3547

Take care!
  • Obiora E
    edited September 2018
    WendySue,

Yes they should be fresh as I harvested them Sunday morning and mailed them the very next day. You are very welcome.

Yes please send me plantain leaves and also leaves from your Mullein too. Do you know the Mullein variety?

Thank you!
  • WendySue
    edited September 2018
    Hi Obiora,

I sent out your package Monday, so you should get it by Friday.

Since my plantain seeds are native to cold climate, you might want to dry the green seeds first and then refrigerate for maybe 8 or more weeks....then start them.

Hope you can use everything :)

WendySue
  • Obiora E
    edited October 2018
    WendySue,

Thank you again. I picked it up last week.

Obiora