Show me your unusual crops - pineapple guava here

alindsay22
alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Our Garden: Growing Food
very good points to know! I only have one very "oddly" large mushroom lol unusual yes, it is very unusual looking lol

Comments

• Dominica
    Dominica Posts: 42
    edited September 2018
    I like that pineapple guava, and those edible flowers sound tasty. :-)

Here's a purple kohlrabi I have growing out of my Tower Garden. It was delicious!

kohlrabi by Dominica Esperanza
  • NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited September 2018

You'd think I grew pumpkins, but they stay partly green and develop bumps, or they turn all orange but are oval-shaped and are harder than usual.  Even the spaghetti squash is odd, not turning completely yellow.   Methinks some cross-pollination occurred last year with green bumpy gourds on the other side of the yard, as the pumpkin and spaghetti squash seeds were saved in the fall and sowed in the spring.

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Dominica,

I've never eaten Kohlrabi.  I just googled it.  It seems like a great winter veggie for CA, I can't wait to try it!

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    My grandmother grew kholarabi when I was a kid, but I don't recall ever having eaten it. My 'unusual' plant this year was Brad's Atomic Grape tomatoes from Baker Creek Seed (www,rareseed.com). Heirloom variety. Don't take the catalog pictures at face value, they were obviously doctored. No blue in the real thing, LOL!. BUT one of the sweetest tomatoes I have ever tasted in my life! And don't let the name fool you, they are much larger than 'traditional' grape tomatoes. Definitely a keeper! IF the pic shows up, they are in the bowl to the left. They start out almost black, then get green, and are ripe when you see orange streaks. (the picture does not show up for me, however, you can check my profile pic, as it was the same one)

• Dominica
    Dominica Posts: 42
    edited September 2018
    alindsay22, yes, it's a very hardy vegetable plant and delicious! After being peeled, I love to saute it with butter and salt. So good! You can also bake it in the oven, make it into a mash or add it to soups/stews. It's one of the stranger-looking veggies I've grown, but I look forward to it every year. :-)