Marjory's weekend project 2018 09 15 Brining apples to store them

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited September 2018 in DIY Tutorials
Hi

I'm commenting to follow this project.  Hoping you find it a simple and rewarding experience.

Comments

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sure wish I had apples this year!  Out of my 5 trees I don't have enough to make a decent pie.  Lots of pears but not as many as a regular year.  Thanks Sherryo for giving a recipe that I can copy and paste in my recipe program for future use!
  • sherryo
    sherryo Posts: 58
    edited September 2018
    Hi Cherlynn

I have made this recipe using pears and it works.  You will need firm pears, soft ones would get.mushy.
  • peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited September 2018
    I will definitely have to try this.  We have quite a few apples and pears and I am always looking for new ways to store them.  Thanks!
  • Marc Thoma
    Marc Thoma Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cherlynn, I could have sent you a few buckets full of transparent apples a few months ago - we had way too many and made tons of apple sauce and then apple jam (which is essentially applesauce IMO, just a bit sweeter).

Brining apples sounds interesting - I might just have to try that with a few of our current crop of apples. Do they actually come out being somewhat salty? And curious to know how long you can keep them once they are ready.