Marjory's weekend project 2018 10 07 FOraging while traveling

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin
edited October 2018 in DIY Tutorials
No one better than Daniel Vitalis for acorn processing.

-Happy Healing

Heather

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Heather  I'll reach out to him.  Hah, just saw a YT vid where his ex girlfriend is accusing him of verbal abuse...  You know, I am not sure what to think about this whole #metoo movement.  Men have definitely had the upper hand for so many milenium...   and the planet is hurting.  There is real justifable anger from women.  Goodness, I've been a women in a mans world for all of my life....  But you know, it seems like you can mess a guy up totally with almost any kind of accusation and that doesn't seem fair either.

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ill refrain my opinion on the #metoo movement and all the accusations for another time, like you I spent a lot of time in a mans world (I was an electrical engineer engineering small to very large photovoltaic systems) If you watch the rest of Daniels videos youll see his personality, I never once thought he was mean spirited in any way. The internet is a dangerous place to air ones dirty laundry, frankly I have no idea why people find the need to express themselves in such a way on such a platform. Reach out to Daniel, he is a master at his craft IMHO :)

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited October 2018
    I do remember the story of Ishi.   We don't get much in the way of acorns lately as the deer usually beat us to the punch.  Black walnuts, however, we have a ton of.

We haven't been to Austin since moving from Texas several years ago.  I hear it is growing rapidly and becoming quite the technology hub.

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited October 2018
    Yesterday I was out collecting chestnuts and saw thousands of acorns on the ground, and I was wondering if they could be made edible, this post really appeared at perfect time.  I am going to take this kids with me this afternoon for collecting more chestnuts and now acorns!  In the meantime I found a podcast that discusses how to eat an acorn by the man Heather mentioned, Daniel Vitalis.

Here is the link if anyone else is interested. https://podtail.com/podcast/rewild-yourself/how-to-eat-an-acorn-daniel-vitalis-and-chef-frank-/

Personally I love informational podcasts because with 3 kids I am always on the move, and I can move my wireless speaker around with me and learn something useful.
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Daniel has a great podcast and lots of great info!
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited October 2018
    Hi Angela,

That great thing about acorns is they store for years.  And from my readings of native americans who depended on them, the older the better tasting (2 years was considered great).

So collect  them up even if you don't know how to process now.  And processing is pretty straightforward...

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wow!  I had no idea that acorns lasted so well!   I will be out collecting and will vacuum seal them into all my gallon canning jars I no longer need for canning.
  • jenniega54
    jenniega54 Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    I had no idea acorns were edible!  I have many in my yard but at a friend's house a few days ago, I noticed she has an entirely different kind.  They are large and with a beautiful dark brown "shine" on them, almost looking like they were polished!  I want to go back to get a bag full!  I was going to use them for a fall decoration, but wonder if there might be a better use?