Plant Labels That Don't Fade Outdoors?

Dominica
Dominica Posts: 42
edited October 2018 in Our Garden: Growing Food
no affiliation :)

http://www.amekron.com/ sells aluminum tags that when you write on them with a pen end up embossed so even if it fades you still know whats there.

Heather

Comments

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For years I used Popsicle sticks that I used a black fine point maker and then sprayed a clear varnish on.  These lasted the season.   Then my dear daughters went to a thrift store and bought them out of metal spoons.  They engraved titles in these such as lettuce #1, #2, etc.   I could then record the marker in my notebook along with the exact type of lettuce, etc.  I've been using these for more than 8 years now.  My husband has done up a few more as I start growing things we never used to grow.  They used a simple hand held engraver from the hardware store that we had bought to mark our equipment with.  Hope this helps you!  I have switched to mini gardens planted around our trees so I no longer use markers.  I record what is planted around each tree.    I thought when we retired I'd have so much time to do the things I love to do but I am way busier now then I ever have been working and handling 5 kids.   I set up berms around my trees and only one berm failed during this years drought so we will work on that one in a few weeks.  No watering needed with them being near a berm that stores water.
  • Dominica
    edited October 2018
    Hi Heather, thank you so much! Those tags are really neat. How do you attach them to your planting area?
  • Dominica
    edited October 2018
    Thank you so much Cherlynn! I love the idea of engraving spoons -- that's so clever and charming!

I'm so glad I asked this question. :-)
  • peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited October 2018
    Love the spoon idea.  We use leftover tile and painted them.  They lay flat and stay put.
  • Dominica
    edited October 2018
    Thank you all for such great ideas. I love these!
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited October 2018
    I have seen the spoon idea before. It is a good one.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20
    edited October 2018
    I make jewelry so I use leftover bits of metal and make tags and use metal stamps to write on them.  To attach, I punch a hole in the tags and use wire to tag tree branches or shrub branches.  I have row markers that are pieces of rebar that I pound into the ground and the tags twisted onto them.

I love that spoon idea!  You could make really pretty row markers!