Soldier Fly Larvae project

sherryo
sherryo Posts: 58
So far, so good.

Harvesting between 50-150 larvae per day.

I also see adult females interested in laying eggs in the container and see their eggs inside on the cardboard.  There are a few houseflies hanging out, but I don't see any of their larvae in the bin. My main concern right now is that I have underestimated the amount of scraps they need per day.  I am kind of scrambling to get enough feed.  I guess that's a good problem to have?

Comments

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Great job Sherryo!  I had soldier flies in my worm bin this past summer and yes, they eat a lot.  I remember putting an apple core in the worm bin and later in the day they already had it finished off.
  • JakeMartin
    JakeMartin Posts: 5
    edited January 2019
    If you need more food for them, go to a local restaurant or food bank and get their waste.  I have several 55 gallon drums full and keep them going in the green house in the winter because of the heat they produce.  I pick up 4-5 pallet loads of food each week from a local food bank.  The larvae can be kept in a refrigerator for several weeks or frozen if necessary.  You can put them in the freezer in an open container for a few weeks and they will dryout and can then be ground up with corn to make feed for chicks and ducklings.