Oral Health

Hi Christine:  My back yard and surrounding area are covered with field horsetail.  I have made horsetail tincture and also powdered horsetail, which I dip my toothbrush in and brush my teeth with.  I live in Labrador, Canada and right now we are under about 10 feet of snow.  I usually harvest horsetail in July/Aug.  I would be interested in bartering for other plants that I do not have access to.  These are some of the plants I can wild craft locally: Mugworth, Chickweed, Sheppard's Purse, Labrador Tea (leaves & flowers), Horsetail, Eyebright (I cured my eye infection and my husbands with eyebright), Lambs quarter, Fire Weed, Red Clover, Chickweed, and Pineapple Weed.  I have small quantities of each dried at the moment.  Please let me know if you would like anything mailed to you.

Sharon

Comments

• GrowCrazy
    GrowCrazy Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    Christine, I actually found mine in the aquatic plant section of my local plant nursery.
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    there is a great holistic oral health summit going on right now

holisticoralhealthsummit.com
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited April 2018
    Marjory has a presentation in that summit - 7 questions to ask your Dentist. What was your favorite presentation, Heather?
  • H_D
    edited April 2018
    Ruth,

I am so backed up on summits, everyone has one and they are all so darn interesting....i think i have 2 more to get through before i can listen to some of the oral health ones. I will be listening though and report back :)

Heather
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited April 2018
    Heather! I KNOW! They are all so interesting! I love Summits because all of the great stuff is in one convenient place!
  • Kirstyn
    Kirstyn Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    Hi Sharon!

I am interested in your horsetail as I'm finding it difficult to obtain where I'm at (Santa Monica, California). Perhaps I could find it in the wild, but it's awfully hard to get out of the city sometimes and into the wild. Traffic! ah! Please let me know how much you'd charge for some of your horsetail and its shipment. Thank you! -K
  • AleksanderLah
    AleksanderLah Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Hi my Grow Network Community, I am new to the TGN world. I came across TGN googling for natural solutions for tooth decay and bought and watched Doug's video.

I need some help making my herbal tooth powder…I live in Slovenia (Europe) and many of the plants Doug mentions are not available here and I would like to find local plants with similar effect.

Doug's receipt:
    50 % of astringent herbs: red dock (canaigre) or bark of white oak

15 % antimicrobial & pH balancing: Chaparral (lat. Larrea tridentata; or usnea  or spilanthes (Acmella oleracea)

20 % dry pithes of pine or juniper

10 % Yerba Mansa (for spiciness)

5%  California White sage

Please suggest what other astringent herbs apart from red dock and bark of white oak I could use?

Thank you :)

Aleksander
  • Sharon Companion
    Sharon Companion Posts: 28
    edited August 2018
    Herbs that contain tannins are considered astringent: witch hazel, rhubarb root, plantain, tea, roses, grape wine, tart citrus like lemons, shepherds purse, red raspberry leaf, red sage, agrimony, meadowsweet & bayberry...to name a few :)
  • AleksanderLah
    AleksanderLah Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    Thank you Sharon, will find some from all you mentioned :)
  • Charlene Kennedy
    Charlene Kennedy Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am also looking for online sources of dried and/or powdered horsetail Equisetum hyemale.

Thanks, Charlene
  • NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    New horsetail arrivals ordered from The Grow Network sitting in a sunny window next to the Dwarf Meyer lemon tree.

• Joshua
    Joshua Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Does anyone know how to treat teeth that have been infected in the root?  In other words, two of my teeth has been infected after having root canal work done.

Please advise.
  • H_D
    edited December 2018
    the same way you would treat any bacterial infection in the body. herbs that you use internally I would also use in a mouth rinse
    personally, I have 2 teeth that have been threatening the need for root canal for about 2 months now..I have not had dental intervention and the pain in the teeth went away completely and I do believe the active infection has also been eliminated.
    I swished daily with a decoction of clove, white willow bark, colloidal silver, goldenseal and prickly ash bark
    I also added tea tree essential oil and CBD oil (85 mg of active CBD per swish) to my coconut oil for oil pulling 2x day
    also had my clove mouth rinse and brushed with clove essential oil for the sheer pain before it resolved itself put right in my coconut oil baking soda brushing mix

now currently adding egg shells and other remedies to help with some remineralizing.

this is the reason WHY i am trying to avoid the root canal, a trapped infection. ensure you are watching your infection very closely, in the jaw it can become a dangerous thing. With all of that said, I would seek out a biological or holistic dentist to make sure the infection that is trapped under the dental procedure doesnt cause more damage and bone loss in the jaw. My mom had bacteria trapped under a crown for years before bone loss began to show on her jaw xray. She ended up needing a bone graft process.

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • Joshua
    Joshua Posts: 2
    edited December 2018
    Heather:

I already have had the root canal on two teeth and the root canal (no root) is infected.

Should I do  what you recommended above?  What is the strength of the colloidal silver and how much of each ingredient?

My holistic dentist didn't recommend doing anything to the teeth with the exception of extracting the teeth and cleaning out the infection underneath.

Will what you recommended help in this regard or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for any help.

• H_D
    edited December 2018
    a few things Joshua
    Colloidal silver is not measured per say in strength, I make my own with silver rods and a frequency generator. Taken internally I would to a tsp or 2 per day, using it topically or in the mouth as a rinse you can use it as often as you desire.

My best piece of advice is do some research on different silver products and the herb/barks I used and others that are anti-bacterial and immune supporting and see which ones will work best for you, not all silver products are made properly and many have more ionic silver rather than nano or colloidal silver.

as for the other ingredients, in generally speaking when making a decoction..i put equal amounts of the herbs and barks in a pot and use the following as a rule of thumb: 1 cup of menstruum (in this case water) for every 2 teaspoons of herbal mixture and let it decoct for 25-30 minutes on a low simmer, when it is done strain and remove all of the herbal/bark debris (great for the compost pile) and place in a glass container with a plastic or rubber lid (no mason jar metal rings) and use as a mouth rinse.

These are remedies I would personally use and/or use on my family. I am a clinical herbalist and naturopath among other things, I am NOT a DDS, DMD or MD, I cant legally or directly recommend YOU do anything specific to your teeth. :)

Happy Healing
    Heather