Adventures in High Performance Gardening 1 (this is not about getting high - smirk)

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited April 2019 in Our Garden: Growing Food

OK, so let's not make any fun out of the "High" perforamance gardening just becuase I am growing in COlorado... LOL

But hey, each week I am doing a video with Lynn Gilispie of the Living Farm - and Lynn is teaching me her gardening system. She has got it dialed in :) And I love busting Lynn's chops.

Check out our first episode: hmmm, let me figure out how to insert this...

BTW< let me know what you think - and if you have any questions for Lynn or I!

Comments

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

Love this, can't wait to watch the next episodes in the series!

Since I am in the process of setting up my garden (just moved and starting everything from scratch!) I'm going to follow along with you two. 😁

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Jimerson, how do you prep/amend your soil in a new garden space? What's your soil like at your new place?

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Loved the video! I’m starting a garden with raised beds this year. Any tips and tricks I can glean would be wonderful!

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft That video was fun to watch. -- How is your zone 5 Colorado Veggie garden growing now ?

I confess that in all the decades I've gardened, have only done Raised beds for two years, before going back to having everything (except Root-crops, & bushes, & trees obviously) grow in like 2 inches, for real. - Why? - because I don't have help, or machines, or even doing it with the shovel is not possible with the 90% rocks we have here. - So I get just 2 inches COMPOST & that is the plants home...

People in classes I've taught never believe that a mere TWO inches is enough for anything to grow, - until I showed them with a tape-measure my proof -----> Truthfully, those 4 to 8 feet tall Indeterminate tomatoes had less than two inches, so they just spread their roots side-ways. ------- See my hand with the tape-measure below:

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I've created a convenient playlist on YouTube if y'all want to binge watch all the episodes! Please note; I'm a week behind as I was out of the country last week. so, two episodes are going live tomorrow! :)

Watch them all here ➥ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeSiM51I4hdta0pXKzltWRLnJt-6I0Sc6

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since can not edit the previous post, when I taught Gardening classes, some soul would object: "Not going to believe that Veggie etc plants actually manage to grow them self let alone good food in a mere 2 inches of homemade compost. Where's the proof ?!" okay Thank you for the opportunity....

Granted, this plate held 1/6 of the harvest in 2016, - yet also they came from just 4 Tomato plants. Just about anything good & Nutritious is possible When you believe...