Seeds to trade with Canadian friends ...

MrsK
MrsK Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Seed Swaps
What is your approximate growing zone? I am 2b-3, in Manitoba.

What can you tell me about Polish Wheat? What was your source for it and how is it different from other wheats (what makes it stand out)? This seed is the most intriguing to me.

Comments

• MrsK
    MrsK Posts: 22 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I’m on the west coast but I grew the wheat quite easily a few years ago while living in the prairies ... a zone 3 I believe. I’ve yet to grind it up and use it as flour just because I’ve not yet grown enough of it’s that’ll be next year! ? My original seeds came from a seed company in Manitoba so would imagine they do just fine. They turn a from green to a neat sort of bluish black then golden as they ripen and they get a neat sort of kink in their stalk ... I don’t know if that’s all wheat but I thought it was interesting!

I’ll post a picture when I can find one.
  • helenpelzer
    helenpelzer Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Do you still have any seeds available?  As I am just recovering from the hurricane, I don't anything to trade, but I can send a bubble envelope and postage ($).  Thank you.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20

I have found that Heritage Harvest Seeds in Manitoba is excellent for heritage and very hardy grains (any seeds really). They have really diverse genetics too. Try out their website for super hardy veggies and herbs and "old time" flowers too.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Some heirloom grain seeds can be found at this BC company (only serving Canada at this time): https://www.saltspringseeds.com/