Electric Pressure Cookers

Ruth Ann Reyes
Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Love em' or hate em'...#pothead or not...what are your thoughts on electric pressure cookers?

P.S. If you're wondering, I designed and made this cute vinyl transfer using my cricut maker!

Comments

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

I have been on the fence to get one for a couple years, now. I just have not been able to justify it! I need to find a neighbor that would be willing to let me borrow their's for a week.

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I have to admit i have 2 electric pressure cookers and one 22 qt pressure cooker/canner non electric..I prefer the electric ones..I use them every day! .. whether its making cheesecake or yogurt, pasta sauce or chili, making big batches of sweet potatoes for the dogs food, making batches of dried beans, rice, beef (so those with bad teeth in my family can enjoy lol) , chicken, asian dishes, and of course in the winter I am making soups and bone broth at least once a week. Since I am one that cooks everything from scratch , the electric set it and forget it really gives me more time with my husband and 18 year old son, and that is the most important thing :)

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I ADORE mine! Made yogurt in it the other day and am about to make chicken tortilla soup in it for dinner -- with my EPC, I can cook the soup in about 45 minutes, where it used to take 8 hours in a slow cooker. It is honestly a life-changer!

• H_D

Merin, right..life changer says it all!..it all began for me about 6 years ago..I am a bone broth maker..i make chicken broth weekly and beef broth monthly..usually 8 -12 qts at a time..I did the math, I have gained a whole day per week now using my electric pressure cookers and not having to be close to the kitchen..and its almost summer time now in the south where we are, I could NOT imagine leaving my stove on all day here LOL

• H_D

but that vinyl transfer..I totally need that for my pressure cookers..how do I convince you to make one for me? ;) LOL

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin
  • Merin Porter

Btw, I have a 6-quart and wish I had an 8-quart. Maybe one day! :)

• Ed Bronner
    Ed Bronner Posts: 9 ✭✭

I love the soups coming out of my wife Pam's electric pressure cooker. Let's see, Hearty Vegetable, Beef with Barley, Ham Bone Cabbage, Chicken Lentil. How do you say it, Moi Bueno! She just grins when I tell she can cook for me any time.

It also does great pork shoulder and chicken for bar-b-q or for freeze dried food storage. Set it and forget it with automatic pressure and digital timing. Best of all, clean up is a breeze with the removable non-stick insert (and Pam does the cooking and clean-up). It truly is a time saver with excellent results.

Gee, that takes the fun out of adjusting the gas flame, counting the jiggles on the weight and all that.

• Ruth Ann Reyes

Yaasss! I make all of this as well! I also make everything from scratch!

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Well, with all the positive reviews here, I may just put this on my birthday wish list. I use my crock pot a lot, so this might be a good addition to the kitchen.

• Ruth Ann Reyes

I literally have no use for my crock pot now! The pressure cooker makes everything taste so much better than the slow cooker...I actually got rid of mine because the electric pressure cookers have an slow cook feature as well. However, I did keep a set I have for entertaining...It just keeps things warm. :) I highly recommend the Instant Pot.

• Merin Porter

YES! It is SUCH a time saver— but you make another great point about the way it keeps your kitchen cooler when it’s hot outside. That’s huge in summer!

• Merin Porter

Yes, you should! It takes a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you will never look back!

• JOBallinger
    JOBallinger Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I have always used a regular, on the stove top, pressure cooker; mainly for cooking dried beans or some cuts of meat. Last year I bought an Insta-pot and I never use it. I also bought an electric pressure canner and although I don't use it everyday, I have finally begun using it when I have just a few jars to can or I have too many jars for my stovetop canners and can put up to four extras in the pressure canner. It is also a pressure canner and a slow cooker in one but I honestly only use the pressure canner setting. It is great! Set it and forget it. I was thinking today that I should start putting beans to can in it every night before I go to bed. Then when I wake up I will already be ahead of my game.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm a HUGE fan of pressure cookers!! I'm on my 3rd. I ruined my first one by accident but man, I used it for everything. Life was made easy with it. No more waiting for hours for dinner, slaving in a hot kitchen. Nope, dinner was done in a snap!

After I ruined my first, I bought another and it must have been a cheap model because it only lasted for a couple dinners. I'm on my third and so far, it's working pretty well. The only thing is, each pressure cooker I've gotten works slightly different than the others as far as buttons go. Some have better features than others too. What I think could be better with all of them is a cooking guide. Your best bet is to join a Facebook page with pressure cooker recipes. I learned so much from other people and looking at the photos helps a lot.

Now I'm hungry.. thanks lololol

Dianne

• 4winds2go
    4winds2go Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

My most favorite kitchen appliance ever...except the Mealthy Crisplid that can be used with the instantpot, like an air fryer. Love...❤️❣️💞it. I use both of them at least twice daily!

• Nikki Follis
    Nikki Follis Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano love your InstantPot sticker! So much fun! This is my one go-to item in my kitchen that never gets put away. :)

• Karen
    Karen Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

OK, maybe a dumb question, but can the electric pressure cookers be used for canning?

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@Karen no, you cannot use a pressure cooker for canning - it must be a pressure canner.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 6 quart Instant Pot with the yogurt button, and I love it! It makes really good yogurt, and soups and stews. The best part is that I can get home from work, throw in some frozen meat, and have supper in about an hour. I always cook my chicken, beef, and pork for way longer than many recipes (and the meat button) suggest. If it's not tender, I put it in a bit longer. There's a learning curve - but so well worth it to me.