🐓 Chicken Coop | Before & After 🐓

Ruth Ann Reyes
Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Y'all, I have to take a moment to brag on my husband. I always knew he was "handy"...but, it wasn't until 5 years ago, when we bought our first home, that I learned just how handy he truly is!

I mean, this man can do anything! Even if he's never done it before...here is proof.

Our chicken coop...before...during...and after! Let me know if you want a tour...it's pretty neat!

Tagged:

Comments

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Love it, Ruth! What’s your favorite feature, and is there anything you’d (have him ;) ) do differently today?

My sweetie built our chicken coop, too, and we jokingly refer to it as the Waldorf Roostoria. He is also super handy and does things with excellence—I think he and Mark would have a lot to talk about! :) My favorite feature of our coop is that he built two doors (together, they’re building-wide) on the side that opens to the garden. I use the built-up litter method, so when I clean the coop out in the fall, I just open those doors and push everything out into the garden, where it rots nicely over the winter.... (Our growing season is only about 110 days here. We literally got snow this morning!)

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Thanks, Merin. Yeah, sounds like our husbands would get a long!

My favorite feature is that the door you see in the photo leads to our side of the coop...This allows us to store the feed, shavings, treats, etc. and to also have access to the back of the nesting boxes. The one thing I wish we would have done differently is...I'd like to have a built in brooder so I don't have to keep baby chicks in the house! However, this time with the mama hen's hatching the eggs, it really has been nice!

Sounds like having the two doors to pull out the bedding is a great idea! I love that you can just sweep it out! We use sand in our coop, since our climate is a lot warmer...it definitely has its pros and cons...but, it has worked well for us.