Let's see those Ranchhands!

Jimerson
Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

Who helps you around the ranch, farm, garden?

Here's my little partner in crime. Malcolm the Unbrushed, First of His Name, King of the Backyard, Defender of Chickens, and Slayer of Fallen Branches.

Tagged:

Comments

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@Jimerson He would be no match my my Tree Slayer lol Im kidding, though I do have a pic of my pooch, he has always had a personal tree branch from the time he was 4 weeks lol

• Jimerson

@Heather Duro I want to see this pooch of a Tree Slayer!

• H_D

@Jimerson ill see if I cant get some pics of him today. and then post the pic of him as a pup with his stick

Heather

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Oh!!! Malcom looks so cute in his vest! I still do have it saved it to my Amazon wish list and I'll be getting the shark for Henry and the mermaid for Sophee before our next lake house trip! haha! I can't wait! The last time we attempted....JK

Here are my ranch "hands" in all their glory...They are really good at defending the backyard by relaxing on chaise lounges, occasionally chasing squirrels, followed by barking. They are also good at sleeping, begging for food, and just overall being bottomless pits of need!

And i love them so much and couldn't imagine the homestead without them! πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited May 2019

Ours is a purebred Norwegian elkhound. He keeps the predators at bay. He is doing okay. He was spoiled before we got him (indoors most times & not treated as the outdoor working dog he is) and has had to learn a lot of what his natural tendencies should be. We are not sure of all of his mistreatment, but we are sure it existed just by what we have observed. He loves the intense cold of winter. This breed. loves to play at -30/-40Β°C and not so much at high temps, but still work hard in it. They are fast, strong, determined and have unuque hunting traits. He is close to, but falls short of our first elkhound...

Our first elkhound spoiled us! She was awesome. Totally true to breed. Dealt with a bear, coyotes, took her guarding seriously, was so gentle with kids, herded our animals when needed...even bringing them back all on her own when they got out...she even did that with someone's horses that were loose. She brought them right to our gate. She caught most of her food in the warm months. We didn't train her to pull sled early enough, or she would have done that too. She was good for all her 13 years. We miss her. If we get another, we will be very careful to pick from good lines from Norway. We will never have another breed. They are perfect for us and our needs!

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Hey @Marjorie, you aren't the only one who has pictures posting sideways, LOL!

But this is OUR guard dog, guarding his baby human (who isn't a baby anymore LOL)! Ozzie is a pure bred hunting beagle turned house dog (and the reason why we don't have chickens right now). He is extremely territorial, very protective of the littles-even as they are growing-, and suffers extreme separation anxiety (we got him as a pup when I worked at home so there was someone here 24/7).

• H_D
    edited June 2019

This is Jett Zerstoren , he is our 11 year old DDR, above he was 8 weeks, still with the breeder, this was the photo she sent to us she said he has the stick at that point for 4 weeks. Both his parents were cadaver search and rescue dogs during 911. He is an amazing protector and watch dog but best of all he is our best friend. Below is him today...He IS 140 lbs he THINKS he is a 10 lb lap dog lol this is him playing with his stick..well let's be real a small tree Haha

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Heather Duro What a beautiful dark dog. I had heard or DDR before, but was unfamiliar with their name. What an amazing background your dog has in his parents. I am sure you are proud!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@Grammyprepper hey we are in the sideways club!

@Jimerson do you have any idea why @Grammyprepper and I have photos that go sideways?

• hmsadmin
    hmsadmin Posts: 123 admin

@Heather Duro Our dogs could almost be brothers! πŸ˜„ Mine doesn't have such amazing bloodlines though (that I know of at least).

I adopted him at about 2 yrs old and the guy I got him from said he was a papered DDR gsd, but I never saw those papers.. After getting to know him and talking with a couple vets, I believe he's mostly Belgian shep/Groenendael. Just about everyone we meet asks if he's wolf though. I hear it so often, I'm tempted to tell them "yea, he's a dire wolf", just to see their reactions 🀣

He's just the right amount of protective, and way too smart for his own good.

His snout didn't quite grow long enough, so his tongue doesn't fit.. He never really grew into his paws.. And measuring tapes are his sworn enemy (he gets seriously desperate to save his humans from them).. haha

He is about 80lbs and also believes himself to be a spoiled little lap dog..

He insists on helping with whatever you're doing in the yard, especially when it's helping dig up tree stumps!

My homesteading plans have been delayed a bit so he's not yet a true ranchhand. I'm training him into being a great travel companion instead for now. πŸ›£οΈπŸ—ΊοΈπŸšŒ

• LaurieLovesLearning

I can see the Belgian shepherd in him. My parents had a purebred. Where I see it in yours is from the neck up. I recognized that immediately! My parents dog was a little more slender all around. Body, hips, legs and tail were different. She had the classic shepherd shape, except that she was jet black. The tongue...yes, that tongue was certainly the same. πŸ˜€

She was so protective and yet so very gentle. A true gem! Through her tattoo in her ear, we were able to track down the former owners and learn her name. They didn't want her back. She had been rehomed countless times & certainly was beaten. She was terrified of guns, sticks & hoses. She adopted us after having run away. She was so skinny & very hungry. 😯 We became her chosen home for the rest of her life. We knew we were lucky & we loved her so much! From a distance, she could look like a bear, although a very skinny one...with a long tail & pointy ears. 😊 They are a very striking and loyal breed!

This is a great thread.

• Jimerson

I am not certain why this is happening. If they were taken on a mobile device, the orientation could be in the photo file and need to be adjusted on the phone before uploading.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

We have a couple of medium-sized pound puppies who do a really nice job of keeping the kids, chickens, and house/yard safe. (In fact, I've gotten so used to our dogs being good around our pastured chickens that I needed a reminder to put the chickens away in their run when we had friends visit with their new puppy. But that's one of the reasons we built a really secure run and why I treat-trained the chickens, after all....) They also manage to do a lot of lounging and loving on us and the kids.

We live in a small mountain town with lots of large wildlife and predators (black bears, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, etc.), so we consider dogs a necessity rather than a luxury. We like their size (about 50-60 pounds) because they are too large to be carried away by an eagle, but small enough to keep the feed bills manageable, etc. And having two of them means they always have someone to play with. :)

• Jimerson

I'm loving seeing everyone's "ranch hands"! Lots up puppy pride in our community. 🐢

• H_D

@Linzi your dog is drop dead gorgeous! look at those eyes. we actually HAD a wolf/GSD mix years ago in Arizona.. that was an experience to say the least.. lol

• hmsadmin
    hmsadmin Posts: 123 admin

@Laurie It's such an amazing thing how dogs can love again after what some of them go through. I'm so glad yours eventually found her prefect home! 😊

He does look kinda Lab-shaped from that angle.. his profile is more of the typical shepherd build, but he does have several things that just don't fit any exact breed.. Honestly, I think he was likely either a backyard accident (maybe with a lab?), or inbred one generation too many.. I dunno, but whatever he is, he's the best buddy I've ever had! ❀️

@Heather Duro Thank you! Don't let those eyes fool you though.. He's only 5% serious eyes but 95% goofball 🀣 I've only ever know two wolf mixes before, and they were both old and sweet by the time I met them. I can only imagine they can be.. unruly when younger. lol

@Merin Porter When you look up "bliss" in a dictionary, this picture needs to be there!

• pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com
    pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Ginger is our malinois/german shepherd mix. Shes high energy

and very smart. No predator stands a chance with her! Next is Bailey,she is pug,chihuahua,jack russell and rat terrier mix. Finally there is Coco who is chihuahua/Boston terrier mix. These two hear a fox,look out they are out the door and running! Between these 3 and my 2 geese we are protected pretty darn good.

• pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com
    pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

These are our babies. Coco is chihuahua/Boston terrier mix,Baliey is pug/jack russell/rat terrier/chihuahua mix,Ginger is malinois/german shepherd mix. Ginger is our outside dog,shes full of energy and smart as a whip. Bailey and Coco are inside dogs,but believe me they hear a fox and they become the hounds from Heck! Between these 3 and our 2 geese,we are well protected! Sorry cant figure out why Gingers picture post sideways.

• Jimerson

@meschaible124 Oooh those are some beautiful puppers!

I had corrected thee sideways photo issue but it seems it has returned with a vengeance! I'm digging back into this issue now. : )