Infused oils

I have a rose bush that has the most wonderful scent. It reminds me of a rose scented perfume my grandmother wore. Could I infuse the petals with jojoba oil and capture the scent or is there another way to do that?

Comments

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful!

I would research it further online if you don't get better answers here. My understanding is that the safest way to do them is to dry the petals first so there's no moisture to prevent any mold. I'm not sure about jojoba, it's pretty thick. Almond, olive, avocado, for sure. There is a way to do them fresh. I believe you have to make sure they're completely covered and shake them everyday with them placed in a warm window. Then you strain the petals out after 2 weeks or so. With the dry ones, you just shake them every few days and they're ready when you like the smell.

I'm just not sure if drying them will dilute the smell. Good luck though and let us know how it works. What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother!

• Desire’
    Desire’ Posts: 31 ✭✭

You can easily make rose water by infusing the petals in distilled water. Its a great facial toner! I like to mist it on my face in the morning and I get wiffs of it all day long. It doesn't have a long shelf life. Making it into a cream will make it last longer. 🌹

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

you can easily infuse the rose into any oil for a topical scent. the thicker the oil the harder it will be to get the plant material out..I make my toner using witch hazel and rose petals. drying doesnt dilute the scent, usually increases it. in order to make any oil based infusion I recommend using dry (for most herbs) because water is not friends with oil :)

you could also make a rose flower essence which is a beautiful and spiritual experience to make your own :)

Step 1 – Choose and Gather Your Flowers

When you’re ready to gather your flowers, take the water from the Mason jar and add it to the crystal bowl. Spend some time communing with your chosen plant/flowers. Be sure to explain to the plant what you plan to do and ask for permission. This may seem silly, but plants are living, breathing beings! Remember that your flow of energy goes in to each essence you make.

Gather flowers that are near maturity. Follow your intuition, clipping just the flower heads (without touching them) and let them fall onto the leaf.

Step 2 – Add Your Flowers to Water

When you have gathered enough flowers for your Mother Essence, add them to the surface of the water, face up so that they are not touching.

Let the bowl with the flowers sit undisturbed in the sun for approximately three to four hours.

Step 3 – Choose and Gather Your Flowers

Using a leaf, you can remove the flowers from the water. Place them under the plant you have gathered them from and offer thanks.

Step 4 – Prepare Your Stock Bottle

Add the brandy or other preservative with spring water into the stock bottle, about a half-and-half solution, and then add four to seven drops of the Mother Essence. Activate the essence by vigorously shaking the bottle and tapping it against your palm, dispersing the molecules into the water. Be sure to shake the essences each time before using. If making a dosage bottle, just repeat this process.

Step 5 – Use Your Flower Essence

Dosage from the stock bottle is four drops under the tongue or in a little water up to four times a day. Take upon waking and retiring, at noon and at evening meals. However, do not take directly with food. Be sure to store out of light and heat.

Start by working with a single essence. As you gain experience, you can then combine three to six essences focusing on key issues. There may be a temporary increase in symptoms until negative patterns are released. If needed, increase the frequency of the essence, not the dose size.  Engage in activities that work synergistically with the flower essences, such as journaling and using positive affirmations that will help recharge your subconscious. (http://info.achs.edu/blog/how-to-make-personal-flower-essences)

rose flower essence info from Floracopeia : Rose flower essence quiets an overactive mind and connects us to our ‘Essential Nature’, boosting feelings of self-worth. This flower essence is an excellent ally when our lives get a bit rough and stressful. It provides a level of energetic protection, symbolized by its many thorns intended to keep disruptive things away, that can be used to increase feelings of protection, containment and loving support. This makes it an excellent tool for healers and health care practitioners. Children alike greatly benefit from both our Nourish & Nurture essence and our ‘Rose Flower Essence Tincture’, for example it can provide loving support during transitional times or tough times at home or school. Our Rose flower essence boosts self-confidence, and supports clear direction and appropriate boundaries.

Happy Healing

Heather

• pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com
    pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Hi Heather, do you have a recipe for your toner? Would you share it with me if you do?

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I dont have a recipe per say, im kind of a little of this a little of that herbalist, but basically, you would combine 1/4 cup rose water, 1/4 cup of witch hazel and a few drops of rose otto EO or any other EO that is soothing to the skin..you can use distilled or steeped rose water (steeped rose water will have a color to it distilled will be clear but needs more material to make)

Happy Healing

Heather

• pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com
    pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!🌷

• sarah121
    sarah121 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@meschaible124

I have never tried this personally, but now you've piqued my interest I may very well give it a go!

You can make home made floral hydrosols (floral waters) which can be used as room mists or facial spritzers when travelling. They are not as strong as essential oils or perfumes but are just as nice.

I found this tutorial which I think might help. Let us know how you get on with your experiments!

https://joybileefarm.com/floral-hydrosols/

• angelaclay509@gmail.com
    angelaclay509@gmail.com Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing the link. I am going to and check it out.

• sarah121
    sarah121 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@angelaclay509 It would be lovely to hear about your experiments. Do keep them in the fridge as they have quite a short term shelf life.