What did you harvest today?

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Whoo, hoo this year my garden(s) are going gangbusters! This is just this mornings catch... Salad turnips are really sweet (with a tiny bit of that turnip tang).

But seriously I eat them fresh like an apple.

I just harvested these to take on a trip with me (along with some hard boiled eggs, salad, and other stuff I grow myself). I'll eat the greens fresh today, and for the trip, I'll ziplock up the cleaned and cut roots.

This is 49 ounces of turnips - just over 3 lb. Yeah!!

Gosh, I wish the lighting was better...

Comments

• pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com
    pamelamackenzie@yahoo.com Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

We love turnips raw and cut up in our lunches or just for a snack. I grew up with my dad's parents cooking them in with potatoes and mashing them together for holiday meals. But my husband likes them mashed separately! Our garden has about a month yet before we get anything from it. We are on the East Coast.

• Marjory Wildcraft

ooohhh @meschaible124 , I love mashed turnips with lots and lots of butter 🥫

you know - they should really ad a butter emoji to this thing - I would use that all the time!

• work
    work Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

Am soo far behind in everything in the garden but weeding & watering. So what I harvest on a regular basis thus far are zillions of Dandelion greens for our rainbow (veggie) Salads, along with Kale, & Parsley both of which I crave. Sometimes instead of other greens I just munch on a bowl of parsley. - Also camomile, but don't yet know how to make it into Herbtea, don't laugh, lol

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I’ve been harvesting lettuce, strawberries and numerous herbs. Can’t wait for the other veggies and fruit to be ready! Looks like a wonderful batch of blackberries this year!

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

SE MI has been cool and wet but yesterday we got our first 3 strawberries. I've been pulling radishes as needed and munching on the chive flower heads. So delicious! My lettuce and spinach has already bolted. I'll be planting more summer varieties soon, but fall will be the best time.

I almost harvested some kale to make into chips, but decided I didn't have enough time so I left them.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Harvested some radishes yesterday, but we've had an unusually cool, wet spring so far, so things just aren't as far along as they would usually be. Getting pretty close to harvesting the spinach and bibb lettuce, though....

• Karyn Pennington

Been a cool and wet Spring, but finally a few strawberries. These are from the ever bearing in front. The June bearing in back are loaded but still totally green

• Voodoo Flóra
    Voodoo Flóra Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Lovely turnips we harvested sugar snap peas and nothing like eating them right off the vine sweet and crunchy.

• birderrose
    birderrose Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Last fall we moved to southern Arizona. Not only am I having to learn about gardening in a new area and altitude, but I'm having to contend with grasshoppers. They have eaten my cabbages, broccoli and brussel sprouts. There was not a garden area here and I live on a hill so I'm having to build my garden areas. I have a spot for regular garden products, another spot there is a raised bed for herbs and I am using containers for my squash, watermelon and honeydew. OH! I forgot to tell you that I don't have "soil", I have rocks. So all of my garden is raised beds or containers. NO way to dig into the ground here. Over the winter I learned about growing potatoes in buckets with a garbage bag inside. It is working well!! So far I've harvested several of my herbs, lettuce, peas, onions, spinanch, swiss chard and a few yellow pear tomatoes. I have also "picked" a couple of the potatoes. I have loads of mesquite trees growing on the property so looking forward to foraging for mesquite beans soon.

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@birderrose Arizona is a challenge..we used to live there back in the 90's, I will never forget that rock hard earth layer that you just can not penetrate without heavy equipment lol ..here where we are in NC now, we also need raised beds as all we have is clay under the grass on our property, when we were in southern NJ we also needed raised beds because of the sandy soil. Everywhere has its challenges, the fun part is learning :) youd think id be an expert by now lol

Happy Healing

Heather

• greenleaf
    greenleaf Posts: 19 ✭✭

Today I picked lettuce (4 kinds) snow peas, poke greens, mint leaves and stevia leaves.

Add a pot of beans and some cornbread, and that's lunch. :)

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Last week I harvested onions and then garlic. We started blueberry picking the end of last week also. Have been enjoying some raspberries too. Strawberries finished in May already.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

over 80%, no more like 94% of harvests never make it into the house, gobbled up right on the spot, lol - Today it was 8 juicy Raspberries for breakfast. - just 8 you say? - Well, it is only June.

Actually as I never found time to prune the canes in three + years, it's now grown into a 4x6x10 ft. raspberry Forest LOL

see

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I harvested enough snap peas for hubbie's birthday dinner, and boy were they good! Our power was out so I couldn't steam them like I wanted, but in a foil packet with some butter and garlic on the grill, they turned out great! And I have flowers on some of my maters here in central OH, that is exciting!

• Deborah Dailey
    Deborah Dailey Posts: 8 ✭✭✭

Spring came late this year, and until this past week or so, it has been mostly cool and wet. Most of the things I have harvested have been "weeds", to be eaten fresh in the garden, as I make room for other things---lamb's quarters, dandelions, wood sorrel, chickweed, wild mint. Of what I have planted, I have picked lots of chives, a few garlic scapes, and baby leaves of lettuce, spinach, kale, and broccoli raab. I had forgotten about salad turnips. They are so good fresh.

• burekcrew86

It’s been a very wet start to the growing season in our part of Pennsylvania, but I’m finally getting some tomatoes on my plants. Can’t wait for the first one.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Since Father's Day we've enjoyed wonderful salad greens. Borage, Beet, Primrose, and Nasturtium leaves make a zesty, texture filled, flavorful salad. The dressings made with either parsley, oregano, sage or rosemary are fun toppers. Oh yeah, I am also currently harvesting, common chives, garlic chives and Chinese chives along with garlic scapes. Life on the farm is tasty!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I harvested about a cup of haskap berries off one young plant yesterday. My other variety has lots, and is easier to see, but they are still all green. I hope I get them before the birds do.

• ines871

Harvested more salads full of perpetual dandelion greens... plus must get all Camomile blossoms into a yummy tea. I really love today's whole cup of red Raspberries (with 100's more coming, usually until November). Yum.

• Marjory Wildcraft

I am rich, rich, rich in carrots! And these are only the ones I've thinned. Yikes, and I have even more thinning to do too.

Whew... so much produce coming in right now.

• burekcrew86

Harvested some zucchini, hungarian wax peppers, and yellow gold tomatoes. It’s been very wet and rainy here so we’ll see what does well considering the weather.

• Midge
    Midge Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

We got our 1st handful of green beans yesterday. With the crazy weather,lots and lots of rain,we are behind in the growing season.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Whew, I wish you were here! My cherry trees are loaded... I am giving them away to everyone I know.

I never thought I could get sick of eating cherries...

I got a freeze dryer and am playing with freeze drying the cherries. Uh, it's a LOT of work.

I'll do a review of the freeze dryer after I've played with it a lot more...

Love the crunch! LOL

• Karyn Pennington

Oh, Marjory! Those look delicious! I have 2 cherry trees, 1 in it's third year, the other I just got for Mother's Day. No fruit yet, but I can't wait. It sure does look like a lot of work. We dehydrate all the extra bite-size tomatoes and that's a lot of work too.

I harvested maybe a dozen cloves of garlic just to check on them. I think I'll leave the rest for another week or so. Many of mine are smaller because I plant all the cloves, If they're not big enough I just leave them til next year and they magically multiply! Onions are getting close too, especially the multiplier/potato onions.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Oh yeah!!! I am proud today. Gosh look at what I harvested :)

• ines871

Bravo, Good going Marjorie ! - isn't this just the greatest feeling... & your Immune system thanks you too. Plus your son & daughter will surely carry on these traditions with their families. 🤗 Gotta love it !

• Marjory Wildcraft

thanks @rainbow yeah, it really is for the kids...

• ines871

Marjorie, your exemplary lifeStyle IS for 'you' as well. Mirroring in many ways how the Longest...lived folks in Greece & Costa Rica & Japan & LomaLinda Calif. & Sardinia choose to continue living... https://www.nationalgeographic.com/books/features/5-blue-zones-where-the-worlds-healthiest-people-live/ the healthier & by the Grace of God longer... living you also will. Truthfully it is to everyone's 🙂 benefit.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

This years garden is a bust here in my neck of the woods. Farmers fields got plants started but they just sit there and don't grow just like my garden is doing. I need to go pull my garlic from last year but haven't had time. I saw one red tomato today. Apple and pear trees are loaded but fruit looks very small this year. I did get a batch of currents off the bush I planted this Spring. Not a lot but enough for a couple batches of hot cross buns that my family loves to have. Just one of those years.