Is grass seed safe for chickens to eat?

Hello, I was wanting to plant some grass seed where there are bare spots in my yard, but I am wondering if my chickens decide to eat the seed if it is harmful. Is grass seed treated with any chemicals? I found a place online that sells organic grass seed, but I don't know if it is just a scam or what!

Also, what could I plant besides grass seed, that would pass muster with hubby? He likes a green lawn.

Susie

Answers

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

in my experience the chickens WILL eat the seed, best to move the chickens to another location before you re-seed. '

Depending on the seed you get, will depend on the chemicals within it.

As for a "green" lawn I cant comment to that..my hubby would rather see food and herbs growing and animals roaming than spend time on the lawn ;) not a conversation Ive ever had lol I am sure other TGN members can help out on that one.

Heather

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Susie,

since your hubby likes half of the equation: the GREEN-part 🙂 would he be willing to Compromise... ? You know you can start off by planting Green edibles especially ones he would eat, & next s.l.o.w.l.y add a plant that is just partly green, & so forth. - What do you think?

• kdt1973
    kdt1973 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Well since I don't have grass seed, but I do have other seeds that will grow green things, I am going to go for it!

I still have no idea whether or not grass seed is treated with chemicals or not...anybody out there know???

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    edited June 2019

Hi @kdt1973

I'm curious, on the main discussions page it shows this question was "answered"

How does that happen? Hey @Jimerson how does this work?

Gurgling guts Marjory

• kdt1973
    kdt1973 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Yes I noticed that. My question WAS NOT answered though! It seems like it just popped up because someone responded? I don't know! I did not do it!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

If your grass seed is treated, it should indicate it somewhere on either the bag or a tag. I would also ask whomever is in charge if they can find out for you...or contact the company directly.

If you want a green lawn faster and want to shade your tender younger grasses as they sprout, I think it is barley mixed in with it that can do this for you. I will need to get back to you on that. Most grass seeds are supposed to be mixed with sand. It is supposed to give a more even spread.

It has been years since I worked within the nursery business...so it is good to work that part of my brain a little.

And yes, your chickens will find & eat the grass seed. It would be a buffet!

• H_D

treatment with chemicals would depend on the seed company..some grass seed I am sure is chock full of chemicals, some seed will be au natural without anything, other products will not be sans chemicals. depends on the brand you chose. You can usually see the coating on the seed.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@kdt1973 and @Jimerson Hey Jimerson, do you know how a question gets "answered" in these forums??? Scroll up this discussion for the screenshot of the "answer"... But kdt did not get her question answered and didn't know how that happened..

• greenleaf
    greenleaf Posts: 19 ✭✭

Look for organic or untreated grass seed to avoid poisoning your chickens. Ordinarily, grass seed would be ideal chicken food, so they will eat it.

As for a green lawn without grass: My personal favorite is white clover. Be aware that bunnies and deer are partial to it, too.

I have a nice carpet of Creeping Charlie https://www.ediblewildfood.com/creeping-charlie.aspx. I've not tried eating it, but I love the scent of it when I mow.

• H_D

I think, at least it used to be this way back in the day, it shows answered because there was a response to the post. In the sense that someone posted a response to the query. There is no real way I am aware of for the forums algorithms to know if the question itself was answered, but only that someone replied to it. (before I was a natural holistic nerd, I was a computer networking nerd lol..and somewhere in between that I was a photovoltaic and electrical nerd.)

Happy Healing

Heather

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heather said "before I was a natural holistic nerd, I was a computer networking nerd, lol.. and somewhere in between that I was a photovoltaic and electrical nerd.) Happy Healing Heather" -- Heather, you crack me up, hence the LOL rep

Were you to have a discussion with another half, you 2 would have fun. in public school he was the nuclear physicist whiz, then got microsoft online, & found mensa too boring! --- After multiple attempts to get me to follow what he was rambling about them darn (lol) computers, he finally decided I was mostly hopeless in that department. - However there are a couple areas that he is mostly clueless about, & watches me do things that he can't seem to even start, yet. The operative emphasis for all of us learning new skills is on YET. 🙂