How are small farms surviving? Airbnb.

I have stayed at my fair share of working farms and ranches. In fact, it's one of my favorite types of vacation homes to rent!

Have you ever stayed on a farm?

Comments

• hmsadmin
    hmsadmin Posts: 123 admin

I need to find some like this.. but with rv hookups..

I had the thought of wwoofing a bit while traveling about, but they all seem to require more work than I have the time to give.

Some of my best vacations have been spent on small farms and horseback riding on some larger ranches though. So, I'm a definite supporter of this move in general, and hope it helps to introduce more people into the pleasure of living out in the country!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Fun idea! Thanks for sharing, Ruth!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano

\goodness knows that small farms need any and all income streams they can generate...

• anita.toler73
    anita.toler73 Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

I haven't stayed at an Air BNB farm but have stayed at them in pretty rural areas while looking for a new place to live. This is a great idea and I would love to stay in one on a farm! Too bad that some states (virginia included) are starting to tax people who make a certain amount every year from Air BNB. Any way to make money 🤔

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea...my maternal family has a seventh-generation farm in southwestern Kentucky. It is a beautiful place with the highest and lowest point in the county, a couple of ponds, wildlife (big and small), and more. The name of the farm is Martin Acres. I have pondered this idea as a means of generating income for the farm but have not made this a reality yet, however, if anyone is interested in having an opportunity to stay in the "Big House" (the homestead on the farm where my grandmother was raised) when we do develop Martin Acres Inn (an idea by my great-grandmother) or an AirBnB type of situation please let me know and I will let you know when it does happen.

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

We are currently looking for land to start a multigenerational farmstead. Planning multiple stream of income that would include yurt rentals. We recently stayed in one and really enjoyed it!

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

We are currently looking for land to start a multigenerational farmstead. Planning multiple stream of income that would include yurt rentals. We recently stayed in one and really enjoyed it!