Amazon Deal on Instant Pot

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can snag a good deal on an Instant Pot today. Here's the 8-quart version at a pretty significant discount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1VC13K/ref=ppxyodt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comments

• hmsadmin
    hmsadmin Posts: 123 admin

I've been wanting that 6qt one for so long... I was hoping it would go on sale soon, but was waiting to see exactly what all I needed for my rv setup. I may just have to get one today after all, that's a deal I would be sorry to miss. Thank you for the alert on this!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

You bet! Yeah, this is a pretty good price -- about the best I've seen. I have a 6 quart and love it, but I've been wanting an 8 quart for a while now because it would allow me to double recipes more easily and then freeze the leftovers for use another day. For example, when I double my recipe for red beans, it fills the 6 quart to JUST below the lid. But I know I could make it work with the 8 quart without the same potential hazards.... So I pulled the trigger on the 8 quart today -- I'm excited!!! Yay!!! :)

• Merin Porter

Btw, @Linzi , what RV do you have?

• hmsadmin

I've kinda of been holding out on more reviews of the 6qt Max model, as it claims to be able to do pressure canning too! The reviews of that model have been very mixed, and it seems they'll have some bugs to work out. That, coupled with the much steeper $200 price, has kept me indecisive for a while. But.. the normal 6qt, at $50?! I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but that's a hard one to ignore..

After so many back and forths, and trying to find the "perfect" one to accommodate me, my zoo, and my mom every now and again, I wound up with a 2017 Forest River Rockwood 5th wheel. It's not the cute, vintage thing I had hoped for initially.. I'll make a video or post or something on all the reasons why I wound up with what I did, and I'm really very happy with it for what my plans are.

• Merin Porter

The only thing I would mention on the pressure canning is that 6 quarts is really small and you won't be able to do much at one time (like maybe 4 pint jars at a time sort of thing, with them set on a rack). That may not be a deal-breaker for you, but for me (and considering the money involved), I think I'd just save that $150 and put it toward a larger pressure canner. I hope to one day, but for now, it's good ol' water bath fruit canning for me and leaving the veggie canning to other folks.... :)

And awesome on the Rockwood 5th wheel. What is the length, and what are you pulling it with?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Wow @Merin Porter at $70 for an 8 quart intspot that just seems increadble deal. Hey @Ruth Reyes-Loiacano what do you think of this one? I've never used the instipot but Ruth has raved about it. And I am just gearing up for canning season... Seems like an incredible deal. Just not sure I would use it...

• Merin Porter

The biggest downfall of the regular Instant Pots is that you are not supposed to use them for canning. Not sure why this is, but they do apparently now have a model that allows you to also use it for canning. So, I don't use my regular electric pressure cooker for canning, but I do use it pretty much everything else! :D

• hmsadmin

@Merin Porter The smaller size is a pro in my book currently. As much as I've always wanted one, I don't really have room right now (or need, since it's just me) for a large pressure canner.. And while inconvenient, I don't have room to store so much in canned goods either, so I'm kinda forced into making smaller batches anyways.

I had to donate a good bit of my cooking wares as they simply didn't fit in my rv kitchen. I've replaced just about everything I need with smaller versions, but my big pot that I used for soups and bath canning was one of the things that was just too big.. So, I need something to replace soup pot, and a pot tall enough for any canning.. Pressure canning and all the other things it can do, without me turning on my propane stove, are all icing on the cake and make it seem worth it to me.

I would truly be able stock up when I find good farmers markets! 😄

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet though.. I think I will wait a little longer and see what more people think of the Max version. 200 is a bit steep and the alternative of getting one that could also be used over a fire has some perks too..

• Merin Porter
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I just bought an 8 quart on Prime Day! Woot-Woot!

Personally, I prefer the Instant Pot Ultra. The model that you can use for water bath canning is the Instant Pot Max. I've not heard great things about it...still has some kinks to work out, I guess.

There is also a brand called Carey that says you can pressure can. But, I'm not sure if it's officially "approved". I guess electric pressure cookers don't keep a consistent pressure the way the manual ones are able to do. I dunno.

• hmsadmin

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano Yea, I think it's an issue with how long and how high electric pressure cookers hold the pressure at, not so much temp or anything else.

After a bit more looking and research, I think I'm going to wind up going with a smaller Instant pot ultra, or even their more basic one and a separate canner. It may be a bit before there's a reliable combination, and you can get both separately for less than the cost of the Max version. And now I regret not jumping on the sale the other day.. haha.. oh well.

Even if I have to store it in my "basement" haha, I think, especially when dealing with pretty high pressure, and the possible consequences if something goes wrong.. I'd be better off getting a purpose-made pressure canner.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

@Linzi if you stalk Amazon every day ... you'll see the Ultra price fluctuates. I've purchased 3 - 6 quart Ultra's over the last year (for gifts) and paid $99 each time. Just have to jump on it when you see it because it doesn't last long!

• hmsadmin

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano Oh! I didn't know that, thank you for the advice! I'll keep any eye out for it.

• Merin Porter

@Linzi, I use the plug-in Honey to track prices (although its main function is to test out all available coupon codes when you check out in an online store -- it's pretty awesome!), and I believe some folks use a site called camelcamelcamel to get alerts when Amazon prices on a certain item drop....