Growing Herbs

Sometimes it is hard to find the herbs I want to use. So, what to do? Grow them! I’m in zone 9 so some things just will not thrive here. I haven’t found a reference for growing herbs in my particular area, so

St. John’s Wort

I’m going to try a few anyway and see how it goes!

Calendula

Mullien

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Calendula is a grow anywhere herb from my experience. I really love growing calendula. It is so useful and you can use it in many ways.

Keep us posted on how it works out for your climate.

Jens

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

One strategy might be to get a local plant guide and see what grows naturally in your area! Though it makes it harder when you need a specific herb.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

A Peterson Field Guide local to your area is a good start. Also talk to your local nursery staff. Check with your local Extension Office

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

Great advice, thank you for the info Grammy!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to grow an herb garden for the first time this year. Any advice? Also, I can a lot of pickles in the fall so any advice on growing dill?

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I am in zone 5 and sure hope it warms up soon so I can get my herbs and seedlings out soon. I have sage, mint, oregano, basil, lavender, chives , parsley and dill started. If it doesn't warm up soon I will have to transplant my tomatoes, peppers, melons and winter squash into much larger pots. It's been comfortable to work outside but it still falls into the 30's at night. I planted my tooth plant starts outside today. Hope I didn't make a mistake!

• Laura Tarbet
    Laura Tarbet Posts: 1

What is the tooth plant that you planted outside on May 4th? Did you mean to type 'toothache plant'? I was just thinking of beginning a search for this plant.

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Not sure IF this is what Cherlynn planted, but there IS a plant nicknamed the toothache plant. Spilanthes acmella, mostly as an effective analgesic and aphrodisiac good for pain relief specifically in the mouth (obviously lol) increased sexual desire and a testosterone booster.

Happy Healing

Heather

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Or I was thinking maybe she meant Equisetum hyemale, which Doug Simons recommends for tooth care?

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

that might be as well :) so important to use the latin names of herbs so everyone knows exactly what is being discussed :)

Happy Healing

Heather

• Desire’
    Desire’ Posts: 31 ✭✭

My advice for growing dill is to plant more than you need. Caterpillars of the lovely swallowtail butterfly like to eat dill and they are one bug in the garden I don't mind sharing a little with.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Your state's extension program (cannot think of whole name, but every state has it) should have all the information for growing in your area. Otherwise, I go by my zone, which is zone 7. That does not mean that you will have success as your particular plot of land is not identical to the norm, but it will let you know what is most likely to do well. You can change things to grow what you normally cannot grow. Paul Gauschi has done that.

• NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭

I started growing calendula last year and got huge plants which I mainly used to chop and drop into my compost pile and garden beds. Besides that, my little dog eats it up every spring as it emerges. She chews it down, it comes right back a few days later. Very funny to watch.

What are other ways to use it? I know it's great for wounds and I would need to learn how to make a cream out of it.

I also grew burdock, another huge plant and harvested great roots for making detox tincture. This spring I have burdock growing all over the place...which I have to "weed" and feed the compost pile.

Then there's nettles. Spreads like wildfire in one season. I still have an abundance from last fall (dried for tea), but decided to make fresh soup with this spring's leaves.

I'm trying to grow arnica but no green thumb yet.

• NanC
  • NanC

I started growing calendula last year and got huge plants which I mainly used to chop and drop into my compost pile and garden beds. Besides that, my little dog eats it up every spring as it emerges. She chews it down, it comes right back a few days later. Very funny to watch.

What are other ways to use it? I know it's great for wounds and I would need to learn how to make a cream out of it.

I also grew burdock, another huge plant and harvested great roots for making detox tincture. This spring I have burdock growing all over the place...which I have to "weed" and feed the compost pile.

Then there's nettles. Spreads like wildfire in one season. I still have an abundance from last fall (dried for tea), but decided to make fresh soup with this spring's leaves.

• NanC

• NanC
  • NanC

• NanC